Gun won’t cycle

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Brettpep55

Gun won’t cycle

Post by Brettpep55 »

I have a 300 blackout AR pistol with a7.5 inch barrel. When I initially built it I did not have cycling issues. It started a week ago it would no longer cycle sub sonic rounds. Now it won’t cycle any rounds. Looking as to what the issue might be?
bugs1961

Re: Gun won’t cycle

Post by bugs1961 »

Possibilities:

Gas block loose and shifted
Gas tube obstruction
Worn out piston rings on the bolt
If the BCG isn’t disassembled regularly, crud on the bolt and inside the BCG
Inadequate lubrication
Brettpep55

Post by Brettpep55 »

I’ll try breaking down and cleaning the BCG. What would be the best option for cleaning the gas tube?
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

pull the gas block. check for a blockage at the port.

my first 300blk barrel acted like that - ran fine at first, but there was a nasty chip at the gas port in the rifling. was shaving copper. my gas port plugged completely.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Brettpep55

Post by Brettpep55 »

Yea that actually makes sense. There are a lot of brass and copper shavings every time I shoot.
bamashooter

Post by bamashooter »

Brettpep55 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:05 pm I’ll try breaking down and cleaning the BCG. What would be the best option for cleaning the gas tube?
Normally there's no need to clean the tube. It self-cleans. Some folks will "swab out" the tube port on the gas key but I've never seen the need. Of course an obstruction can occur but that's not the norm.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

When you take the gas block off, you want to see a clean circle of soot all the way around port which would indicate proper alignment.

They can be tricky to get properly aligned.

I also like to make sure the gas tube itself is as free floating through the receiver as possible. I don’t know if it can become an issue with the proper functioning of the bolt carrier or not. But I like the tube to literally rattle around freely and not be in a bind against one side of the receiver hole that it passes through.

When you put the gas block back on put a little bit of blue Loctite around the edge of the underside of the block to help seal it off.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George