1st 300BO checking in

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

07Kingpin
Silent Operator

1st 300BO checking in

Post by 07Kingpin »

Hello all,
Just picked up my first 300BO and just found this site so wanted to say hi.

Been shooting/hunting/reloading for over 20 years, mostly Savage bolt actions in various forms. Had a short action kicking around and thought it might be fun to try building something to shoot subsonic so was looking at 450BM, 358 Win, 22 Hornet, the BO etc but before I could get too far along I happened across a Ruger American and picked it up.

According to the serial # it is a 2015 model, it appears to be in great shape.

I've read some good and some not so good things about these rifles so hopefully I got a good one.

Plan to hit the range tomorrow.

Any tips to be aware of?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: 1st 300BO checking in

Post by dellet »

They have a bit of a light primer strike issue. This coupled with a lot of commercial ammo is sized short on headspace and AR primers causes mis-fires. For the most part if you size like you would for any other bolt action you will have no problems. It really is more of an ammo issue than rifle.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
07Kingpin
Silent Operator

Post by 07Kingpin »

Thanks for the reply.

Got to the range the other day- with a 4x Leupold and a few different kinds of factory subsonics it did pretty well, right around an inch at 100.

Hornadys did the best, would like to try their 190gr Sub-x.

My old eyes aren't what they used to be, will probably move to at least a 3-9, maybe with a mil hash type reticle to help with ranging.

I definitely want to start loading for the round, and would be very interested in using cast lead bullets.

Have tried a search but it seems like soft lead, cast off wheel weight type bullets with a big meplat and/or hollow point would be perfect for sub use, anyone have any experience or tips for this?
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

07Kingpin wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:43 am Have tried a search but it seems like soft lead, cast off wheel weight type bullets with a big meplat and/or hollow point would be perfect for sub use, anyone have any experience or tips for this?
I may have a little experience. If you're looking for expansion, you won't get it from a big meplat alone at sub velocities. The only hollowpoint I'm aware of is the one in my avatar and the same thing without the lube grooves, both made by NOE. They will expand pretty well made from wheel weights with some added tin. There is a group buy going over on castboolits for a new hollowpoint mold from MP Molds, but it's been running for ages and I have my doubts anything will ever come of it. Doesn't cost anything to sign up, though.

NOE mold: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_in ... mtuip40k45
Group buy. It says "closed" but you can still get in: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... d-6C-Solid
07Kingpin
Silent Operator

Post by 07Kingpin »

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out!