Optimum barrel length?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

glutton

Re: Optimum barrel length?

Post by glutton »

My first AR of any sort was a 8.5" pistol. I was interested because I reload and I'd already easily obtained a few hundred spent cases (and the potential to pick up hundreds more, easily). Plus I never owned an AR.

Quickly found out that if you are not in the suppressor game, then go with a rifle. The 8.5 gave me headaches after every shooting session. Ear pro was not the issue. It was so loud that I soon doubled up (plugs and muffs), but I figured out the headaches must have been from the concussion entering my nasal passages. Soon as I went to a rifle, the headaches no longer happened.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Both my pistols (BLK & 5.56) are 10.5", velocity loss is predictable and acceptable at that length for my purposes. I use a muzzle device that my can (Elite Iron Bravo)threads onto, it also comes with a linear comp style cap that helps reduce the ear whack much more than some of the brain busters widely used.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

I use a linear comp too, but 10.5 with most muzzle brakes is not too bad in 300. In 223 it is hateful
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

I have 7", 10" and 12" Ar's but the 10" is my favourite. The extra length of the 12" def makes it quieter though.

My bolt gun is 12" but that is a very different platform and ammo than the AR based rifles.
GreenPig

Post by GreenPig »

I prefer a 10.5 with my suppressor mounted. A 120 gr Barnes blacktip will expand out to 325 yards. My hunting range limit is 210 yards with only 10 inches of drop.