New to BLK but not ARs

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BgDnTX

New to BLK but not ARs

Post by BgDnTX »

Hello All:
I have a few minutes to do an introduction and say hello.
I bought an Andro Corp 8" BLK upper for a very nice sale price and gonna get into this BLK world a bit.
I also picked up a box of Magtech 123g super and 200g subsonic to try out.
A thousand questions, but I'll read the forum and see what's here before I get too stupid with questions. :)
I am already looking at suppressors, and you know how long that will take. In the meantime, guess I'll shoot loud.
One thing that i'm interested in learning pretty quick is cycling a subsonic round; I read where some actually address the buffer spring, and some swear by a need for a suppressor to ensure dependable cycling.
And while I'm at it -- I have a box of Hornady SST 168g bullets that was bought for my .308 Win rifles and plenty of assorted powders (I do reload). Are these viable bullets, weight wise? And would these be more classified as subsonic since they are 168g?
OK. That's it for now. Thanks for your input in advance.
Big D
There was never a horse that couldn't be rode,
and never a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to BLK but not ARs

Post by alamo5000 »

Any bullet that is built for a .308 and some even that aren't will work in a 300 BLK.

The biggest (initial) challenge that I've had but have long since gotten the hang of was experimenting with cast/coated bullets. That in and of itself is a different animal as far as reloading goes, especially in an auto loader. I did manage to make it work and I am doing a 500 round trial now and so far not a single hiccup and not a single indication of leading.

If you use jacketed bullets, just reload away. Some people do make light subs, I have done so with 168 grain and I think 180 grains bullets (i need to look at my notes) to verify that though.

As for your best terminal performance in hunting or whatever from what I gather most have had the best results from light bullets. IE 110 or 125grain.

If you are just wanting to shoot anything will work. The only problem with subs is that the component cost of heavy jacketed bullets are high. It costs a lot. About 30 to 40 cents per bare unloaded bullet at my last check. If those ever go on sale I would buy a few thousand just to save money. "Save" money... lol... I like how that makes me sound...Heheee! :lol:

You definitely need a suppressor!!!! But not to ensure the reliability of your gun :mrgreen:

You can run standard gas blocks and the whole nine yards... but considering the wide array of ammo available an adjustable block does lend itself to help out. The same thing rings true with the buffer system. I only have my experience with my guns but heavier buffers (H2) etc lend themselves better to make a gun, particularly a shorter barrel one run more reliably.

I've never tried a 16" long 300BLK so I don't know anything about that, and I've never tried other gas lengths ether so I am no help there as well.

Overall once you get your gun running it should do just fine with anything from 110 grain up to 220 grain. As I said earlier the WIDE array of ammo choices and wide array of barrel lengths and various gas systems means it's going to be a little bit different for everyone. But in my personal opinion with such a wide variety of ammo having some measure of adjustability on the fly definitely won't hurt anything.
BgDnTX

Post by BgDnTX »

Thanks Alamo5000.
Very good info, and very informative. And yes, I did leave out an adjustable gas block consideration in my OP.
So now it's time to start firing a few rounds to see how this 8" does.
I use an 18" SS Grendel on whitetail deer with a 123g SST, and I took my last one with a neck shot and down right there. It was shot at only about 40 yds. And my hunting zone is a max of 100 yds or so. So now understanding that this BLK is good to 200 yds might lend itself to an easier, more comfortable hunt with the 8".
Ballistics is my main consideration in all firearms: find the bullet that does the job, then find the platform to launch that bullet.
So looking at the BLK, it has the good, wide range of qualities, that makes it a really nice setup for many applications.
And a suppressor is definitely next.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Welcome BgDnTX. You indicate that you will hunt with your new 300. With an 8" barrel your biggest challenge will be velocity and distance. Compared to a standard 16" barrel, you are losing several hundred fps at the muzzle therefore limiting bullet selection. Most bullets designed for a .308 have a minimum expansion velocity greater than what your 8" barrel will achieve. Read the hunting section and note the bullets used. Get a chronograph to test your reload velocity. Use a ballistics calculator to get a ballpark of tragectory then do some testing. Have fun.
BgDnTX

Post by BgDnTX »

Thanks smustian. Actually I will hunt whitetail with my Grendel. It does real well as it already has this season.
I see the ballistics on the subsonic and had read that it mimics the 45acp, with which I agree. It might possibly reach out a bit farther than a pistol, but I will relegate the subsonic to maybe varmints or such. Thanks for the heads up on this.
I would consider hunting with the supersonics in the 100 to 130 grain range in around 100-150 yards max. But also my hunting property is set up for 100 yd or less work, so should be fine.
I picked up this BLK knowing it is a short to medium range tool, and will use it for that purpose. The can I will get is going to do duty on my Rem 700 .308, and FN Tactical .308, including the Grendel.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

:cry: :cry:
[rant]
Within 100 yards and an 8" barrel you can use just about any bullet you want. A decent handload will have a 150 grain bullet around 1900 fps and if it has low end expansion around 1650-1700 that will be around a 100 yard effective range for anybody who understands anatomy and shot placement.

People who think the 300 Blackout sub-sonic has the same ballistics as a 45 ACP are just not thinking clearly. With the same weight bullet the Blackout will have a much more efficient BC., enough to where it will have the same energy at 100-150 yards that the 45 ACP will have at 25-50.{/rant]

It's not the be all end all, but it's mostly not understood and highly under estimated. :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BgDnTX

Post by BgDnTX »

Thanks dellet. Yes, while I have done some copious reading this last week or so, and seen where the 300 sub has been compared to the 45 acp, I have seen a difference that can not be ignored. My first inclination is to target shoot, but like the Grendel, there are a wide range of possibilities. This is one reason I got into the 300. And I believe, as I expand into reloading, testing, and shooting, I will find the 300 to be a great choice for many applications.
I do have a chrono and have loaded a great deal of pistol ammo and a bit of rifle. I look forward to trying out various bullet weights and velocities.
I appreciate the input as I'm in the learning curve.