Adjustable Gas Block settings questions.

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Re: Adjustable Gas Block settings questions.

Post by Flatliner »

As for the sound reduction, that is a quest. Bullet, powder, velocity, recoil spring will all have an impact. I was VERY unhappy with my reduction early on with factory subsonic ammo. Playing with things to achieve your goal is half the fun but don't think that early 'loud' means it will always be loud. Mine isn't as quiet as the movies but it is darn close in an open space outdoors.
2BearArms
Silent Operator

Re: Adjustable Gas Block settings questions.

Post by 2BearArms »

I stumbled upon this thread when looking for an answer (that I spell out below) and then realized that I had started it. I found that to be funny. The 12.5” barreled other has been working just fine. I bought a second suppressor and it is quitter then the first one. I shot it outdoors for the first time yesterday I have only been shooting at an indoor range that is 75feet long. The only issue was it wasn’t locking back after the last round. I went to open the Adjust able gas block one more click and it wouldn’t budge. I usually run it in and out (as was recommended on here) so it won’t freeze up but I guess I forgot to do that last time I used it. I put a little bit of Break Free CLP on it when I got home and it freed it up.

I put the quick disconnect muzzle brake for the suppressor on the 16 barreled 300blk upper so I could shoot that one suppressed also. This upper doesn’t have an adjustable gas port on it. Yesterday it would eject the spent brass and the bolt would close but it didn’t strip off the next round to chamber it. It was very consistent. When I first got this upper I tried a box of subsonic ammo and it had problems cycling them this was without a suppressor. I forgot to try supersonic ammo in it yesterday to see if that would cycle ok. The lower that this 16 300 blk upper is on came with a 5.56 upper on it. From all of my reading today about this I get a feeling that I would be good to try a heavier buffer weight. I was thinking of buying one that the weights in it can be changed to fine tune it. I took the existing one out and measure it and it is just under 3oz. I was trying to use logic and I thought that it would need a lighter buffer but from my reading it looks like it is the opposite of what I was thinking, it needs a heavier buffer.

I am also wondering if I should look into getting an adjustable gas block installed. I assume that I would need to have them open up the gas port when installing something like that and then I can shut it down some if needed. But if the heavier buffer weight would work that is the much easier thing to do. I was just wondering if that would mean that I would need to put the lighter buffer weight in when using the 5.56 upper or shooting supersonic ammo in the 16” 300 blk upper.

BTW the suppressor that wasn’t as quiet as I liked has worked just fine at taking off the edge on the 5.56 upper.

Does it look like I am on the right track to fix this issue?