Debating a 300BLK Bolt Action

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jfisher1191

Debating a 300BLK Bolt Action

Post by jfisher1191 »

Since going suppressed I've been wanting to get a 300BLK. After learning about port pop with my 9mm guns I've decided to go bolt action for maximum quiet. This brings me to three options- The CZ 527, Ruger Ranch, or the 700 SPS.

The 700 keeps bringing me back because of the vast aftermarket and factory barrel profile but dislike the factory internal mag and the Remington Rep as of late.

The Ranch I like that the newer ones take AR mags and the price of course. But don't see much out there in the line of goodies to trick it out.

The CZ I've yet to see in person so can't speak much to it. The price for a general plinker seems a bit much but I do love my 457 22LR from them.

What would you guys suggest or does anyone have some first hand experience? This rifle will be used primarily as a paper/steel puncher and for reloading experiments of course.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: Debating a 300BLK Bolt Action

Post by BlogSarge »

I have the Ruger Ranch. The factory magazines suck and if I were to buy another it would be the AR mag version.

The damn thing shoots wonderfully. And sounds great with the Silencerco Omega on it.

I did a trigger upgrade but the factory trigger was pretty dang nice to start with, and adjustable. I also sanded out the fore end and free-floated the barrel, but it shot well before I did that.

For the price, or even for more $$,I think it is a great rifle and I recommend it.

I have no experience with the Rem or CZ.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

I'm a R700 guy, have several, but early issues reported on the 300 BLK chambering kept me away. I own RARR rifles in BLK and 5.56, both with the rotary mag. After handling the AR mag version, the position I carried the rifle and the mag protruding in the way kept me from going there. I'm happy with the older version, the mags work fine and the rifle feeds most bullets, not as well as my AR's, but they shoot very well indeed. Changing to the new one is a non starter...'cause I just assembled another pistol upper :P
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Good point about the magazine protruding. That would be a problem.

And in all fairness, the feeding from the magazines has smoothed up with use. Still, why can’t Ruger make a rotary mag for the RARR that is as superb as the 10/22’s?
jfisher1191

Post by jfisher1191 »

Any idea what max length is for the Rotary mag version?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I have an AAC Model 7 that I really like. However this is not my first one. Bought the first one used and it had several feeding issues. Sent it to AAC and they replaced it. The new one has been really good. I think they have been discontinued however.

However if I had it do do over. I would most likely build one out of a Savage Axis .223 and a 300blk replacement barrel. and an AR15 mag conversion. But that is mainly because I Like doing my own gunsmithing.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

jfisher1191 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:04 am Any idea what max length is for the Rotary mag version?
Maximum OAL will be about the same as the AR mags, 2.260
jfisher1191

Post by jfisher1191 »

gds wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:30 am I have an AAC Model 7 that I really like. However this is not my first one. Bought the first one used and it had several feeding issues. Sent it to AAC and they replaced it. The new one has been really good. I think they have been discontinued however.

However if I had it do do over. I would most likely build one out of a Savage Axis .223 and a 300blk replacement barrel. and an AR15 mag conversion. But that is mainly because I Like doing my own gunsmithing.
Honestly never thought of that. Wonder if I could find a virgin Savage action on the cheap...so as to build something like the Porksword Pistol
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

I have three 300 BLK's, one AR, one CZ, and one M7. I like the AR very much, especially with supers. It works fine with heavy bullet subs, but lighter weight subs are problematic with the gas system installed. I could change the gas block to an adjustable and solve the problem, but lack of time has been a factor. I don't recommend the CZ, though there are some here that love it. Mine has bolt binding and feeding issues even after polishing feedways and feed ramps. I really like the Remington/AAC M7 very much. It shoots supers very well, and subs, especially lighter weight subs much better than the CZ or the AR. It feeds the shorter 100 plinkers and 110 gr RN bullets that I use for "varmint" subs, but has difficulty with the 85 gr GDHP's; I have to single load them.

If you want a bolt gun off the shelf, then I would recommend the Remington/AAC M7. Handy little rifle, lightweight. The only drawback is the barrel being thin, it will change POI dramatically between supers and subs with the can on and off. IOW, it will hit consistent POI's with normal separation between supers and subs with the can installed, and have the same result with the can un-installed, but if you use the rifle with the can on for supers, then remove the can, the POI will shift dramatically due to the weight of the can. Same for subs.

If rate of fire and rapid followup shots are not required, then I would get a TC Encore frame and a(n) MGM 300 BLK barrel. It is a single shot, but you can shoot anything out of it without worries IRT magazine length, COAL, bullet seating depth being too much because of mag length, or feeding issues with shorter lighter bullets. There is a sticky done by "gds", with loads for lightweight bullets in subs and I can tell you that using the 85 and 100 gr bullets with Trail Boss powder in subsonic loads is very quiet without the can and stupid quiet with the can, so much so that if you miss on the first shot, the critter doesn't notice, and a second shot is easily accomplished.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Mike7.62 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:20 pm

If rate of fire and rapid followup shots are not required, then I would get a TC Encore frame and a(n) MGM 300 BLK barrel. It is a single shot, but you can shoot anything out of it without worries IRT magazine length, COAL, bullet seating depth being too much because of mag length, or feeding issues with shorter lighter bullets. There is a sticky done by "gds", with loads for lightweight bullets in subs and I can tell you that using the 85 and 100 gr bullets with Trail Boss powder in subsonic loads is very quiet without the can and stupid quiet with the can, so much so that if you miss on the first shot, the critter doesn't notice, and a second shot is easily accomplished.

cant vouch for killing anything yet with those 90gr xtps... but you're right.. with the suppressor on my CVA scout... whoooo buddy... hollywierd quiet!

pure, 100% giggle factor :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

[edit]

that said... if i could go back and do it again i'd find a bolt gun to work with. same quiet stuff, but no single shot woes.

having an extractor and not an ejector for spent rounds is a bit of a pain,but it does make keeping brass easier. for what i paid for this thing it was worth it though!
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.