Sage Advice Please -300BLK Build / Bullet Considerations

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

surftrybe

Sage Advice Please -300BLK Build / Bullet Considerations

Post by surftrybe »

300BLKTALK'ers - need some sage advice - file this under dude wants his cake and too eat it too -

I have owned shot (in addition to the standard .223/5.56); 6.8, .277WLV and .300BLK - I am trying to get to a place where I have one AR platform with a standard .223 upper, an SBR (I already have a tax stamped lower) and a "if needed" hunting upper that is accurate to 200 yards - I guess accurate can be a relative term - I'm thinking old school Army basic training - center of mass - or kill zone on something coyote to deer size

I've been googling for information on lower grain weight 300BLK ammo, not seeing anything - my ignorant thought is, 100-90gr - lighter bullet, maybe more accurate? I see a lot on 110 is the sweet spot for supersonic

Either way, I'd like to have nice groupings at 200 yards, or less and be able to cause solid terminal damage in the same range
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sage Advice Please -300BLK Build / Bullet Considerations

Post by BlogSarge »

Do you handload? If not, then for lighter bullets I think the venerable Barnes 110gr blacktip is still as good as any. Other options;

Gorilla tried an 85gr load but it has since been discontinued.

Maker makes an 85gr load but I have no experience with it and can’t recall reading any real-world tests. They say it comes out at 2550fps from a 16” barrel. It is a solid copper bullet and retains high % of its weight. They also have a 100gr made the same advertised at 2300fps

Lehigh makes a 78gr load advertised at 2800fps out of an unspecified length barrel (16” SAAMI spec barrel???). It is designed to fragment which I am not a fan of.

Others who handload will have more info.
surftrybe

Post by surftrybe »

Thanks for the feedback blogsarge - that's a negative on hand load - why I moved away from .277WLV - At this stage of the journey, just a shooter. And 16" barrel is what I was thinking, or if it made sense, 14.x, or even 12.x but not shorter
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Anytime! And where are my manners? Welcome to the forum.

I can’t speak to lighter, faster bullets being more being more inherently precise. But the faster, flatter rounds can certainly help accuracy due to less drop to calculate. But for a 200 yard gun with the expectation of minute-of-deer I wouldn’t worry about that.

I want to get some of the Maker 85gr Overwatch rounds but the damn things always seem to be out of stock. If they perform well terminally, shoot precise and shoot flat I think they’d be a hit.

Hopefully others will chime in with some other thoughts. I had another thought pop into my head while I was typing but it got lonely and left...
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

surftrybe wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:34 pm Thanks for the feedback blogsarge - that's a negative on hand load - why I moved away from .277WLV - At this stage of the journey, just a shooter. And 16" barrel is what I was thinking, or if it made sense, 14.x, or even 12.x but not shorter
honestly - unless you've already got a NFA Lower and can hunt with one - just do the 16". especially if you're talking about 200 yds.

and the barnes 120gr Tac-Tx ammo is going to be hard to beat in that wheel house. if you zero the 120gr load at 175 yds you end up with a MPBR out to 200 yds.

that's 2.4" high at 100 and 2.1" low at 200. no holdover. point and squeeze heart shot on a deer and a general vital shot on a 'yote from 25 yds to 200 yds.

if the 120 doesnt like your barrel you should be able to get very similar trajectory from the 110gr version.

hth
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
surftrybe

Post by surftrybe »

good feedback, thanks so much guys!
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

I cant speak for the 120 grain barnes bullet I have never used it but I do own 4 blackouts
. I bolt gun , two ar type and a mini-14 and the 110 grain barnes has been the most accurate super sonic round I have used across the board . I have yet to lose a deer shot with one of these. zero at 100 hold over 6 inches at 200 yds .