Shortest 300 blk barrel

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

PNW17
Senior Silent Operator

Shortest 300 blk barrel

Post by PNW17 »

I have a 300 barrel cut to 4.25”. Where do you think I should put the gas port? Dedicated subsonic gun. I’m thinking just forward about an inch of the end of the throat. It’s an experiment at best. We’ll see if it works Image
10Driver
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Shortest 300 blk barrel

Post by 10Driver »

Why not place it where SLR, KAK and all the manufacturers do?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I think I have you beat by at least a half an inch. :shock: :mrgreen:

3.75 inch barrel.

Thread here.

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=102049

I think I am about an inch from the muzzle.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
PNW17
Senior Silent Operator

Post by PNW17 »

I appreciate the link. I will post my results.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

The problem with an ultra short barrel isn’t pressure or gas volume, there will be plenty. Dwell time can be more of a problem.

You’ll need 1/2”-5/8” for threads and some for the gas block. I would be more inclined to leave more barrel in front of the port than behind.

If it was not in the thread by gds, he also made his gas block. By going to 4.25” I think you could use a standard block, have enough room for a gap between block and muzzle device and the port would be around 1.25” from the muzzle.

Good to see someone else pushing the limits, look forward to the results.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

One of the few instances where we guys want to be the shortest..... :lol:

I built a 6” with a folding stock and it is easily hidden in an everyday backpack. It is good to see others pushing things even shorter. I might need to shorten mine a bit.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I really cannot remember in detail how I came to the gas port position I did. It was after lots of reading, research and bouncing ideas off guys like Dellet, rebel and DS.

In the end. I think I went with what I could only determine was, the most optimal. Either that or it was a WAG. :lol:
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

gds wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:41 am I really cannot remember in detail how I came to the gas port position I did. It was after lots of reading, research and bouncing ideas off guys like Dellet, rebel and DS.

In the end. I think I went with what I could only determine was, the most optimal. Either that or it was a WAG. :lol:
I think you put it the only place you could fit the drill bit between the barrel nut and suppressor :lol:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
PNW17
Senior Silent Operator

Post by PNW17 »

Yeah I agree dwell is more important. I will place the port as far back as possible and then use my jp adjustable gas block to tone down the gas if need be. I finished up the threading last night. It’s all concentric and sits well but my threads didn’t turn out as pretty as I would like. I will post some pics later.
PNW17
Senior Silent Operator

Post by PNW17 »

Cutting gas block saddle