New to 300

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jbaker1274

New to 300

Post by jbaker1274 »

Hi,

I am new to the 300 world and actually haven't completed my first pistol yet but, have a question that has likely been asked before. Tried to find AAC print or specs but, could not find online...

I have been looking at 10.5" barrels as they are pretty common (most seem to be .075 ports) and one of the issues I keep hearing is with correct gas port size if you plan to shoot subsonic... My build will mostly be for a close in hog gun and will be not be suppressed for a while until I get my can stamp from ATF so, I need it to cycle correctly without a can and hoping that no adjustments have to be made when can is added...

Anyone have the AAC specs or modifications that work?

Thanks in advance!
NeverBlue

Re: New to 300

Post by NeverBlue »

As long as it’s pistol gas form a reputable Mfg. you should be OK w/carbine spring & propably H2 buffer.
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

I have never touched a gas port and all my guns run flawless. Like was said earlier don't buy junk parts. I can tune my guns as needed for any kind of ammo if I want, suppressed or not or have just a general all purpose setting.

The first thing I would say is work on the back end of the gun instead of the front. My magic combo is a 4.6oz buffer (H2) and an XP spring from Wolf. You could go a little heavier on the buffer but if you do use a standard spring... it's all trial and error and no two guns will be perfect.

I would liken it to this... the back end of the gun is like cutting out the form of what you want, and an adjustable block is like polishing it up with sandpaper. The back end gets you really close, the front end satisfies those 'wants'.

BTW you asked about AAC and I don't have any of that but it shouldn't matter if you follow the basic principles.
jbaker1274

Post by jbaker1274 »

Thanks for responses
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I run an adjustable gas block on every AR I own, 5.56 but especially in my 300 Blackout ARs. Most ARs are over gassed from the factory for a couple of reasons. The biggest is companies do not want their guns to come back for a "warranty" repair because it won't cycle cheap combloc ammunition so they use a larger gas port. When shooting quality ammunition with higher pressures those guns will be over gassed. Another reason is they use the milspec port size for a 14.5" barrel on their 16" barrels.

And any AR that will cycle subsonic loads without a silencer will be over gassed shooting supersonic and especially so with a silencer.

And while most ARs will run without an adjustable gas block (AGB) most ARs are not running as well as they could be. An AGB will allow you to tune the gun to run optimally. When an AR is running optimally it reduces felt recoil, reduces gas in the shooter's face, reduces the crud in the receiver thus increasing reliability. An AGB also allows you to quickly adjust the gas for changing conditions, for a silencer or for a dirty gun.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!