When Evil calls too close to home, MHP Trooper shot. Going home 5/22/19

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dellet
Silent But Deadly

When Evil calls too close to home, MHP Trooper shot. Going home 5/22/19

Post by dellet »

This is very rare in this part of the world, but we have had our share of nationally known jackasses over the years.

I heard about this yesterday afternoon from a friend and Deputy at the local gas station about 100 miles from the incident. He had just got back from not only the early morning search, but also helping transport Trooper Palmer to the airport, to fly him to a Salt Lake hospital so that his organs could be harvested. A servant to others to the end.

For those not familiar with rural areas, things change quickly, the 10 miles out of town traveled could just as easily be as remote as the middle of any National park. My friend who was responding was about 50 miles away on roads that potentially held black ice. It did not happen in this case, but at times he might have been the closest back up. Rural officers are mostly on their own.

Here is the area where the incident took place, it gives an idea. Sadly there is no night view to help understand what Trooper Palmer rolled into.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Buck+ ... 14.0912736

Here is a street view
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... CnoECAUQCw

What Trooper Palmer did not, and could not know, was that before he could un-buckle his seat belt and before he could confirm the suspect vehicle at his location, no less than 17 rounds of .223 would hit him and the cruiser.

Below is a Fox news link, and a local. The local has a way to donate to the officers young family.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/montana-shoo ... rs-wounded

https://www.mtpr.org/post/montana-highw ... r-shooting

This sucks.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Re: When Evil calls too close to home, MHP Trooper shot and killed

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Surprised the perp made it to the jailhouse, shows a lot of constraint by the arresting officers. Should be an easy trial with no option other than the death penalty but I'm sure lawyers will drag it out and keep this guy alive on our dime.

Really hate to read these stories. Years ago, probably 15 or so now, we had an officer killed in a traffic stop in my small town. That really shook the place up for quite a while.

May he Rest In Peace.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

As of about 2 hours ago, the Trooper was in Salt Lake City, and in critical condition. The Hayes girl was the person killed. No updates on his condition beyond this information.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

TRshootem wrote:As of about 2 hours ago, the Trooper was in Salt Lake City, and in critical condition. The Hayes girl was the person killed. No updates on his condition beyond this information.
The story yesterday was they were taking him to Salt Lake to keep organs functioning for donation. If that has changed it would be wonderful news. My understanding was one round to the head among others that missed his vest. I talked to Deputies late yesterday afternoon and both were basically about 30 hours into their day, so info could have been sketchy. They were a bit shook up and pissed.

Word was that the shooter was very anxious to give himself up, wanted no part of an exchange on equal terms.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

To bad they don't sentence him to be stomped to death. That would take a bit, and hurt.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: When Evil calls too close to home, MHP Trooper shot.

Post by dellet »

It is with a certain amount of hope and pleasure that I needed to edit the original post title. What on Friday appeared hopeless, has been upgraded to "critical but stable".

Local support and National attention have helped the family with things such as a private flight and accommodations in Salt Lake.

Things like this rock the core of a small community and the state of Montana is a small community. Talking to the local wrecker driver this morning he shared an experience from over the weekend. Responding to a non injury wreck over the weekend, those involved were more interested in hearing any information available from the responding Trooper and passing on well wishes and small gifts than the ticket he was issuing to them.

The last Officer killed by gunfire in the state was two years ago, before that 2010, in the last 25 years only 5. Only 81 recorded in the history of the state.

Sadly in a State that is very pro law enforcement, we have people like the shooter and his sister who posted on FB over the weekend, "piggy down".

Please keep Trooper Paler and his family in mind, and if you are so inclined...
https://www.gofundme.com/trooper-wade-p ... pense-fund
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It’s worth reading the first post to get an idea of how miraculous this actually is.

After a couple weeks of no “official news” and plenty of off the record “not good news” Trooper Palmer is conscious and showing limited, non-verbal responses, and the ability to recognize some people. Currently listed as “Stable condition”.

This was a grizzly shooting, described as one each to the neck, face and head. Lots of local support and plenty of national.

https://www.missoulacurrent.com/general ... ciousness/
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

This is good news, saw that update in the paper. Pray he has a miraculous recovery. Hope this finds you all well and less snow bound on the 'other side of the Divide'. Melting away fast here, cold nights hopefully reduces the flood risk in the valley. Possibly up your way next week....

TR
Morpheus171

Post by Morpheus171 »

Been following this from the Bitterroots. As a retired LEO, I think about Trooper Palmer a lot. Wishing for the best for him and his immediate family and LE family.

#301strong

https://dojmt.gov/highwaypatrol/wade-pa ... ndraising/
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Morpheus171 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:23 pm Been following this from the Bitterroots. As a retired LEO, I think about Trooper Palmer a lot. Wishing for the best for him and his immediate family and LE family.

#301strong

https://dojmt.gov/highwaypatrol/wade-pa ... ndraising/
Today is probably a tough day for the family, but a good day for miracles.

I was surprised at the amount of fundraising going on across the state. Thanks for the direct link. Did you make the event in Stevensville?

On a side note you have to laugh a bit at the last update statement given by the MHP.
While he is showing indications that he recognizes certain people and things, all of his interactions remain non-verbal; he continues to interact with hand gestures and facial expressions.

Trooper Palmer was shot in the face, has his jaw wired on and is probably still tubed. I’m thinking answering Captain Obvious with a hearty Yes Sir! Is excusable right now.