Red dot w/magnifier or 1-4x scope

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Tommyboy35

Red dot w/magnifier or 1-4x scope

Post by Tommyboy35 »

What is everyones opinion/ preference on a red dot w/ magnifiers vs low Magnification scopes ( 1-4x or 1-6x). If you have suggestions i am open to hear them as well. I am trying to stay $150 or less. I know i am not going to get a quality scope, as long as it holds zero. This is for a truck gun, shooting 150yds at most.
thanks
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Red dot w/magnifier or 1-4x scope

Post by plant.one »

im more of a 1-4x type of shooter - but thats got to do with my vision as much as it does personal preference.

i ended up with a 1.75-5x32 vortex diamondback on my blackout pistol "truck gun"

Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Tommyboy35 wrote:I am trying to stay $150 or less. I know i am not going to get a quality scope
For that price, you're not going to get a quality red dot/magnifier, either. Assuming "truck gun" includes self defense, I'd be tempted to go with irons rather than low budget optics.

But of the options you list, my opinion is that if you need magnification, go with a scope. And if you want a cheap scope, Primary Arms isn't a bad place to look. They have a 1X4 for $130. https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arm ... cope-pa14x Can't recommend it personally, but it gets good reviews.

If you can find a way to double your optics budget, their SLx6 is awesome for the money. As fast or faster than a red dot at 1X, and 6X with a 300 BLK reticle if you need to reach out. https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arm ... 39-reticle
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

didnt check price earlier, but the Diamondback i show above is currently retailing for $179, so only a few $ outside your budget.

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Di ... B074565SXM

that seems to be the everyday price right now, as its pretty much there everywhere. so its not a stretch that if you have some time to wait - you can probably get one on sale for very very close to your $150 budget.

or find one used, which is how i got mine. Vortex's warranty isnt original owner based, the V on the side of the scope is the warranty. so you can buy a used scope with confidence that if it does happen to fail due to the previous owners not being nice to it.... you're covered.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

plant.one wrote:didnt check price earlier, but the Diamondback i show above is currently retailing for $179, so only a few $ outside your budget.

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Di ... B074565SXM

that seems to be the everyday price right now, as its pretty much there everywhere. so its not a stretch that if you have some time to wait - you can probably get one on sale for very very close to your $150 budget.

or find one used, which is how i got mine. Vortex's warranty isnt original owner based, the V on the side of the scope is the warranty. so you can buy a used scope with confidence that if it does happen to fail due to the previous owners not being nice to it.... you're covered.
Looks like it was $159 or so for a few days in January. You can set up notifications at the desired price with camelcamelcamel.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Vortex-Opti ... ice_amazon
bamashooter

Post by bamashooter »

That PA 1-4 sounds good. You'd probably be happier with a 1-4 / 1-6 vs a red dot and magnifier.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I have been slowly switching most all of my scopes over from 3-9 to 1-4 or 1-5 or 1-6x.

I have been liking the Bushnell trophy shotgun scopes with circle X reticle, though they are not a true 1x power and may not be so great for up close in your face encounters.

But 15 yards or better, they fit my needs, are fast on point, and I like them better than the higher powered scopes in the same price range.

The Tasco 1.5-4x32 proshot reticle has worked well for me too. I have one on a crossbow and it has put meat on the table. And another on an integrally suppressed bolt action 22 that has no problem doing head shots on squirrels.

But as I have said, I would hesitate to use it under 12 or 15 yards away because it's not a true 1x scope.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Another vote for low powered scope. I have seen poi shifts with some magnifiers.
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

I use a Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20mm Riflescope,on my 300BLK. It works fine for me.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-sc ... m-1-5-4x20
rb288
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rb288 »

I am a fan of low power optics, 1-4, 1-6, or 1-8, on my "short range" guns.
Red dots just don't work well with my old eyes, ditto with iron sights.
Low power optics have opened up the shooting world again for me.
No more fuzzy, or comma shaped, dots for me.
I can see, I can shoot accurately, and that's what matters to me.
I may have been on the losing side, but, I'm not convinced it was the wrong side.