Red dot w/magnifier or 1-4x scope

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

armedferret

Re: Red dot w/magnifier or 1-4x scope

Post by armedferret »

If you aren't willing/able to fork over the cash for an Eotech magnifier or something in that price range, go 1-4x scope. I've had a PA magnifier before and it was.....lacking in optical clarity. I'm being nice because PA has always been a great company, and in fairness my experience is with earlier generations of their stuff.

But my AR Optics 1-4 PCL and "used" (not that you'd know it) Viper PST Gen 1 1-4 are both head and shoulders above that. The Bushnell is on my blackout and is perfect for it. I may even get a couple more of the AR Optics 1-4s for some other 400-yard-in rigs in the works.
bamashooter

Post by bamashooter »

I have a Vortex 3x flip-style magnifier w/ a Sparc AR. Excellent clarity and all that. Had I to do it over, I would have transferred my Vortex PST 1-4 to that AR instead of selling it. My philosophy is now, if I think I might need magnification, get it either in a LPV or prism scope.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

I have a 2-7 variable nikon scope they used to make specifically for 300 BO.

I like it even at contact distance, but honestly I would like even more magnification when I am shooting past 100m or so. I now have mild prescription glasses, but even if I didn't, just being able to clearly see the stuff around the target makes a big difference for how quickly I can identify and aim my shot.

I think the primary arms ACSS II red dot and magnifier are a sensible combination, particularly for a compact 'pistol' type setup, but conventional glass works very well if you have the option of a cheek weld.

If you think about it, 3-9x40 scopes were the choice for a long time for a reason. I am sure tech and economy of scale was part of it, but 3 is low enough that it doesn't really interfere with most close shots, and 9 is enough for most people to clearly see what they are shooting at, without sacrificing field of view. 1-9 would be even better. I know primary arms makes a 1-8 scope, and having tried the 1-6 version with illuminated ACSS reticle, I think that would cover almost every circumstance excellently. on 1x with the horseshoe illuminated, it is very similar to using an eotech, but at distance you still have a sharp clear reticle, and unobstructed view.

I like that for quick ranging, but the BDC aspects are not as helpful for people who aren't just shooting 55 grain 223.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

personal experience I tried a magnifier behind an eotech xps 2-2 and an aimpoint pro . it was a pain in the butt . added weight and alwas in the way . I gave it away to a friend . he tried to give it back and I said pay it forward . I do have a leupold 1x3 mk4 cqt on 458 socom for up close with big nasty stuff . probably out of your budget , but I also have a primary arms 1x6 with the 7.62x39 / 300 blackout reticle and I love this scope . the reticle its self is worth the money the chevron is easy to see with the illumination on or off and it will take care of about any type of shooting you do with a blackout or an ak for that matter . hiting coyotes at 250-300 yds is not out of the question the bdc works that good . you will need to add about 100.00 dollars to your budget but it is worth it plus primary arms will stand behind their produc,t also first hand experience with a weapon light . I called them and they sent a new one .