Hi Newbie needs help

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

FIL7712

Hi Newbie needs help

Post by FIL7712 »

Hi all,

Newbie from across the pond and its my my first posting here

What is the heaviest cast bullet weight I can safely use in a reduced load round? :roll:

FIL7712
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hi Newbie needs help

Post by bangbangping »

Is 265 grains heavy enough for you? :mrgreen:
http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloa ... /Black-Out
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Bullet weight will not matter as much as powder selection. Anything over about 150 grains, could be over pressure limits with the wrong powder combination and still be under 1050 fps.

The heaviest bullet I know of was not lead, but tungsten and weighed just over 300 grains.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
FIL7712

Post by FIL7712 »

Thanks lads

Thats made my day! I got my eye on a nice Lee 230gr and was a bit worried that it might have been a tad heavy :oops:

Our Rifle range is very close to the road and horses are ridden up the road quite a lot so we like to keep stuff sub as much as poss.

This is my first attempt with the Blackout round, as you might know we are not trusted with Semi Auto full bore rifles, so we are developing straight pulls.

Been shooting for 50 yrs and they aint NEVER going to stop me

FIL7712
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

FIL7712 wrote:Thanks lads

Thats made my day! I got my eye on a nice Lee 230gr and was a bit worried that it might have been a tad heavy :oops:

Our Rifle range is very close to the road and horses are ridden up the road quite a lot so we like to keep stuff sub as much as poss.

This is my first attempt with the Blackout round, as you might know we are not trusted with Semi Auto full bore rifles, so we are developing straight pulls.

Been shooting for 50 yrs and they aint NEVER going to stop me

FIL7712
A couple things about that mold- assuming it is lee/midway 311-230-5r. 1) it was designed by a midway employee for 300 BO. 2) it tends to cast closer to 220. 3) a LOT of people, including me find it not to shoot well, but there are exceptions who like it.

If you don't have success, don't rage quit the caliber, just know you probably want to start with a projectile that works for more people.
FIL7712

Post by FIL7712 »

Thanks for your suggestions

Regards

FIL7712
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Welcome. There is a lot of good info on this forum. Don't waste time with powders that aren't discussed here as preferred for your bullet style.