Reaction rod

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Danno

Reaction rod

Post by Danno »

Wondering if a stripped bolt welded to a pc of round stock would work as a reaction rod. Stripped bolts are under 25.00. Geissele reaction rod is about 95.00
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Reaction rod

Post by plant.one »

i seriously doubt it.

the lugs on the bolt are designed to get behind the lugs in the barrel extension and lock up that way.

the reaction rod is designed to get between the lugs in the barrel extension, not behind them.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

Danno wrote:Wondering if a stripped bolt welded to a pc of round stock would work as a reaction rod. Stripped bolts are under 25.00. Geissele reaction rod is about 95.00
Spend the money...don't look back. I heard Magpul may offer similar, but not for sure.

Edit... see this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUcolu4-3mY
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

If you can afford or don't want to buy the correct tool to do the job, pay someone to do it. It will be cheaper.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

The Magpul block has some other features, but if you want to attach a torque wrench, the one from Brownells will attach direct.

Either one is $50, well worth the money.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... 27452.aspx
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
B y r o n

Post by B y r o n »

I think the Brownells rod is great if you are building AR barrels and need to attach the barrel extension. However, if you're looking at the Geissle Reaction Rod, you should probably be looking at their updated version that stops the receiver from turning as well. This is behind issues with barrel retention pins being sheared or damaging receivers. That however puts you in the $175 range.

I just happen to be in the market so I've been searching for options. I happened across the Midwest Industries Upper Receiver Rod.

I was able to find one for about $90 so pulled the trigger. I like it because it has more purchase on the receiver than the Geissle, not to mention it is less expensive. I almost pulled the trigger on the Magpul tool until I found this.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

What use?

Those rods are overpriced junk for muzzle devices and unnecessary for barrel nuts. Unless you know what you're doing with one, most people are just going to end up breaking off their extension pins.

A barrel vice is THE correct tool for both jobs.
B y r o n

Post by B y r o n »

I'm not says that a barrel vise is the wrong tool, I'm just trying to say that it will not work in all situations. Tell me how you would use a barrel vise on this configuration.

Watch Video https://youtu.be/mZ75lk_pZjc

Just like clamshell vise blocks will not work in all situations. For those situations you need an alternative. The newer action/Reaction rods do that. They hold the barrel from rotating as well as holding the receiver from rotating. To me this is a win win.

Besides, who doesn't need another tool in the tool chest!