Personal Build - Cycling Issues with Reloads

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

smatranga

Personal Build - Cycling Issues with Reloads

Post by smatranga »

Configuration:
Wilson Combat 16" SS 300AAC Barrel. Standard Gas Block, carbine length. Standard BCG, Spikes Upper and Lower.
I did research on powder from Hodgdon. Used Lil Gun. Bullet weights 125 grn and 150 grn. Brass was once fired Lake City, reformed, resized and processed. Took it to the range with a couple of boxes of factory ammunition. Factor Ammunition ran fine, no issues. Cycling issues with reloads. Used mid range powder weights.
Called Wilson Combat, thinking about gas port size. They explained they use IMR 4227 all the time with no issues.
I purchased some IMR powder and have rechecked my gas port alignment with HB Gas Block Alignment pins.

Would the following help?
Adjustable Gas Block with Nemo Low Recoil buffer spring? I would like to resolve this issue with my next visit to the range. My new reloads are still 125 and 150 grain, but with IMR 4227 powder. Thank You.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Personal Build - Cycling Issues with Reloads

Post by bangbangping »

smatranga wrote:Used mid range powder weights.
Details, please.

An adjustable gas block will not help. It can only dial down the gas, not add to it. And you shouldn't need a low power spring for supers.
B y r o n

Post by B y r o n »

Sounds like your reloads are on the light side and not producing enough gas to cycle the action. Pick a load that is closer to the factory loads and you should be fine.
Saxon
Silent Operator

Post by Saxon »

16"unknown 300AAC Barrel. Standard Gas Block, carbine length gas. Standard BCG, psa carbine lower
ran factory loads just fine. now the reloads,
all rounds fired and functioned in the 8"blk with no FTF FTE
the 16" FTE every round of the ladder
110 grain serria hp H110 17.9 2200 fps through 18.9 2300 fps @22 and 2300 fps it should cycle
so I thought and goggled and checked the gas block placement to check alignment,
and Shure enough it was misaligned (bought it already built)
re aligned it and proceeded so strip out the set screws because some one used an aluminum gas block, got an Anderson gb with new gas tube and will be testing it out Sunday,,, but then my issue may not be the same as yours
smatranga

Post by smatranga »

Thank You Gentlemen for your help. All is appreciated very much.
smatranga

Post by smatranga »

Gas Block Misalignment was my first problem. I recommend HB Industries Gas Block Alignment pins. They work great!!! Gets it right the first time.