POF Gas piston for 300BLK suppressed?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BlackHeart

POF Gas piston for 300BLK suppressed?

Post by BlackHeart »

All of my AR platforms, 5.56 and .308 are POF (Patriot Ordnance Factory) gas piston rigs. I want to get their 300BLK gas piston 10.5" upper, but I cannot find ANY reviews o feedback on it. Most people I have talked to about it say that I don't want a gas system for suppressed. The POF has a 5 way adjustable gas system, so I can't imagine it being so difficult to dial in. Does anyone here have any direct knowledge or input on this setup?
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Re: POF Gas piston for 300BLK suppressed?

Post by cdl »

No bites yet..., I don't have a POF but I have an opinion...

The POF gas block is fine if you have a 2" long gas journal it'll fit on. Thought about one myself. Should work as well as any. My MCX only has two settings.

The basic thesis for gas piston is you sacrifice a little weight, simplicity and anecdotal accuracy for a gun the runs cooler and cleaner. A full auto suppressed SBR would probably benefit most, but cool and clean makes everyone feel good. The thing is, it's just hard for most to credibly argue they "need" a gas piston. But then I own a lot of stuff I don't need. If you had another, it might become part of your identity... that's not a bad thing.
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

Question: Does a piston system bleed off to the atmosphere at a point other than the end of the barrel? If so, would that cause the rifle to run louder than a DI system?
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdl »

Bleed of vs Restriction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy5XLr3igaU

I have a superlative and bleed mine

In philosophy all of life can be subjective...
BlackHeart

Post by BlackHeart »

Well, I just wanted to have gas piston rig POF's all the way around, but it doesn't seem like there are many people out there using them (at least not that I can find). I'll call POF today and see if I can get any feedback.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

BlackHeart wrote:All of my AR platforms, 5.56 and .308 are POF (Patriot Ordnance Factory) gas piston rigs. I want to get their 300BLK gas piston 10.5" upper, but I cannot find ANY reviews o feedback on it. Most people I have talked to about it say that I don't want a gas system for suppressed. The POF has a 5 way adjustable gas system, so I can't imagine it being so difficult to dial in. Does anyone here have any direct knowledge or input on this setup?
There's a reason why a lot of people don't suppress gas piston operated actions. Despite the obvious "will there be enough gas pressure to cycle the action with whatever powder I'm using in my subsonic loads".

The silencer does absolutely nothing to quieten down ported gas from the barrel and it's going to be loud and defeat the purpose of running a can on it.

Running supers are going to be loud regardless, but even if you run subs and suppressed, if you're going to port a large portion of the gas out into the atmosphere without going through the can, you'll only be getting a portion of the suppression level that you'd get running DI like everyone else.

What's better than a DI semiauto where suppressors are concerned?

Bolt action and single shots.

I'm not going to judge you or anyone for putting a can on a gas operated action, and while I have on occasion ran them on SKS and Fal and AK's, they're largely a novelty and a waste of time.

When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
BlackHeart

Post by BlackHeart »

John A. wrote:I'm not going to judge you or anyone for putting a can on a gas operated action, and while I have on occasion ran them on SKS and Fal and AK's, they're largely a novelty and a waste of time.
THIS is the answer is I was looking for. A thousand thanks to you my good sir!!! Knowledge is power (and helps you save $$$)
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

You're welcome and I'm glad to pass on a little of what I have learned over the years if it helps someone. When I started out designing and making cans, I had never even seen one in person, let alone know what makes the really good ones good. That came in time.

Most people back then thought they were outright illegal and I've had "that talk" with several folks over the years.

But I love shooting suppressed. I like it the most when I'm able to get it as quiet as I can and seeing peoples reaction the first time they get behind one of my guns and let go of a couple rounds down range.

And Op Rods are not where it's at and just defeats the purpose really.

It is a little less boomy, I'll give it that, but it won't meet anyones definition of "quiet".
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I have a piston operated rifle, and there is no port noise whatsoever.

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

dellet wrote:I have a piston operated rifle, and there is no port noise whatsoever.

Gee, I wonder why :lol:

I guess I should say "gas operated pistons are loud".

Manually operated pistons would probably be fine ;)