POF Gas piston for 300BLK suppressed?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Re: POF Gas piston for 300BLK suppressed?

Post by cdl »

Good grief. There is nothing wrong with running a gas piston in a 300 Black AR. I shoot both. They suppress just fine. Heck, the wood pecker on my Weber makes more noise.
thisguysguns
Silent But Deadly

Post by thisguysguns »

Piston guns are no more loud than DI guns. The excess gas in a DI gun vents out the bolt carrier just the same as a piston vents excess gas at the piston cup. I've got a 9" 300 Blackout running an Adams Arms piston kit and it's just as quiet as my buddies 9" DI gun running the same can and subs. My gun is definitely less gassy than my buddy's DI gun.
$1.35 a day... Best job I ever had.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
BlackHeart

Post by BlackHeart »

Very well done video.
B y r o n

Post by B y r o n »

BlackHeart, did you ever talk to POF and get any feedback from them? If so, what did they have to say?
BlackHeart

Post by BlackHeart »

B y r o n wrote:BlackHeart, did you ever talk to POF and get any feedback from them? If so, what did they have to say?
I actually did call POF-USA about 2 weeks ago and spoke to them about this concern. While they did state that would be no issues firing this particular upper suppressed, they did not make any references to any kind of specific data that supported the claim. So, in short that leaves me with the option of purchasing upper and testing it myself - which I fully intend on doing. I hope to be presenting some results within the next few months after purchasing the upper and receiving my suppressor (it's in NFA jail).
B y r o n

Post by B y r o n »

BlackHeart wrote:
B y r o n wrote:BlackHeart, did you ever talk to POF and get any feedback from them? If so, what did they have to say?
I actually did call POF-USA about 2 weeks ago and spoke to them about this concern. While they did state that would be no issues firing this particular upper suppressed, they did not make any references to any kind of specific data that supported the claim. So, in short that leaves me with the option of purchasing upper and testing it myself - which I fully intend on doing. I hope to be presenting some results within the next few months after purchasing the upper and receiving my suppressor (it's in NFA jail).
Good to know and it will be good to have someone to compare notes with. I'm starting my own build which may come close to the POF upper you're buying.
Shushh

Post by Shushh »

DI vs piston with suppressor, MAC did a good bit on this, it's a 25 minute video, I timed the link to the right spot. https://youtu.be/2HzMLvrF6u4?t=334