300 Blackout Newbie Alert

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bamashooter

300 Blackout Newbie Alert

Post by bamashooter »

Hi folks.

Seriously considering assembling a 300BLK pistol.

Have a few .556 ARs which I've assembled.

The intended role of the 300 will be against targets at 50 meters and in.

Found your site as I began researching the 300BLK.

It will not be suppressed. I'll be limited to commercially-produced ammunition.

Not sure yet if there's an industry standard for gas port size when not suppressed. Prefer to keep it simple without an AGB.

From what I've found a 9" barrel is widely accepted, therefore, that's what I'm currently looking at. No problem going shorter if it's a "stopper" (so to speak) at distances up to 50 meters.

Greater than 50/50 chance I'll go with the Stag Arms lefty upper and bcg. Being a lefty, I find the SA upper to be of good quality and I greatly appreciate tossing the brass to the left. Not that many hits to the face / head (but have had a few) when the right-hand upper has a deflector but have had some and I don't like seeing (nano-second glimpse the brass when firing the weapon. But then again, a conventional right-hand upper and bcg is less costly.

Preliminarily, I'm looking at the 9" Faxon and the 9" KAK (1:8 vs 1:7). Not sure if the Faxon is manufactured or available now. Will also consider Ballistic Advantage unless ya'll have reason not to. Their 8.0 / 8.5 / 9.0 have my interest. I have two of their .556 barrels and they've been gtg.

As I've said, if shorter than 9" will get the job, I'm good with that. I like short (minimum of 7") for vehicle storage and overall maneuverability.

Reckon that's about it for the moment.

Thanks.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 Blackout Newbie Alert

Post by John A. »

Welcome.

9" will do fine for what you are wanting to do. Yes, you could go shorter if you wanted, but 9" is a good starting point. Mine is 8.5" and I doubt you'd be able to find a way and show either is better than the other.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
bamashooter

Post by bamashooter »

Thanks. Trying to "force" myself to go right-hand. :lol: Generally more affordable and much more available. I'm now giving 8.5" / 9" equal consideration. Thanks again.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Depends on what you are calling a "stopper". Sounds like you're not shooting subs, If that's the case, an inch won't matter enough to worry about at 50 meters.

With subs and no suppressor, the extra barrel will be a bit more reliable for cycling, but wouldn't worry about that below 8". For supers it won't matter at all unless 40-50 fps is a game changer.

The Stag Arms upper is decent, I have one for my Father in law to use. It is comparable with any forged upper.

There are a few companies that are doing billet uppers now, if you want to go that route.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bamashooter

Post by bamashooter »

dellet wrote:Depends on what you are calling a "stopper". Sounds like you're not shooting subs, If that's the case, an inch won't matter enough to worry about at 50 meters.

With subs and no suppressor, the extra barrel will be a bit more reliable for cycling, but wouldn't worry about that below 8". For supers it won't matter at all unless 40-50 fps is a game changer.

The Stag Arms upper is decent, I have one for my Father in law to use. It is comparable with any forged upper.

There are a few companies that are doing billet uppers now, if you want to go that route.
Thanks. I have 2 Stags lefty uppers and really like them. Unless on sale which isn't all that often, their lefty BCGs are a bit pricey. I have a Gibbz lefty side - charger which I really like. I'm now leaning toward a conventional righty for price and many choice options.

It'll definitely be supersonic. By "stopper" I mean stopping a threat from human or indigenous beasts, most likely at ranges <50m.
Gman2017

Post by Gman2017 »

Welcome to the forum.
bamashooter

Post by bamashooter »

Gman2017 wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Thanks. Glad to be here.
Bullhed78

Post by Bullhed78 »

I’m running a 8.5” Ballistic Advantage barrel and 110 grain Hornady V-Max factory ammo. It has a non-magnified Aimpoint with a 2 MOA dot. I had it out this past weekend and put 28 rounds in a 2” bullseye and 2 rounds just outside of that bullseye at 50 yards. To be honest, I was a wee bit disappointed. Not that I was unhappy with the performance but I thought I remember shooting a 2 1/2” group at 100 yards last time I was out. This pistol has become my general purpose gun. I have absolutely no qualms about it’s performance ballisticly or accuracy out to 100 yards. I wouldn’t be afraid to use it out to 250 yards if I had to. Not saying it’s ideal at that range with a non-magnified red dot but I was able to hit an 11” gong at that range pretty easily. Just my 2¢ and remember my free advice is worth precisely what you paid for it.
bamashooter

Post by bamashooter »

Thanks. I'm sure that BA 8.5" is more than gtg for my needs. I'm now leaning toward the BA 9" (Modern series). Possibly the KAK 9" "Mr. Blonde". The KAK is 3.5oz lighter and 20.00 more. Found a decent (not great) deal on a Stag lefty upper and bcg yesterday. Ordered it from JSE. I've had good luck with those folks in the past. Not sure what optic I'll be going with. Considering the Bushnell Lil P 1x Prism in a few months. In the interim, I'll probably pull my Holosun reflex from another build as well as the lower from one.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

Welcome to the forum!
It's nice to see people ask questions first before buying a bunch of stuff then complaining about why it doesn't work.
There is a ton of information and good people here to discuss things.
Glad to have you.