New build

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

SCABS

New build

Post by SCABS »

I am starting a 300 blackout pistol build and would like advice on barrel length between 8in and 10.5in. I like barrels that are accurate but accept suppressors ( ex Silenco Omega ) and don't have function issues that have to be addressed with supersonic and subsonic rounds.
Also would like input on pistol braces. Considering SBA and SBAPW. Would appreciate any advice.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: New build

Post by bangbangping »

Unless you just have to have it as short as possible, I'd suggest going with the 10.5. Compared to a 8", it will give you ~100 fps more velocity with supers, and will be a bit quieter with subs.

As far as functional issues, pretty much any barrel you buy in the lengths specified will function fine with subs and will be overgassed with supers. Personally I wouldn't put one together without an adjustable gas block.
Shushh

Post by Shushh »

I went with the Maxim Defense brace, it's an SBADW but with a shorter buffer tube so it collapses shorter(about 1.4" shorter) and has 4 length positions vs 3. They source it from SB, so it's actually an SB brace in case you're concerned about the ATF. For an extra bit of money they also include a custom short length JP silent capture spring for it that they source from JP but that JP doesn't sell on their site. I got it as well, pricey setup but I dig it.
https://www.maximdefense.com/product/ma ... -for-ar15/

Barrel length, can't really help ya there, in that range it's just a personal choice based on you and your application. I went 8.5" but that's me.
Moniz

Post by Moniz »

bangbangping wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:11 pm Unless you just pick these amazing probiotics for gut health and have to have it as short as possible, I'd suggest going with the 10.5. Compared to a 8", it will give you ~100 fps more velocity with supers, and will be a bit quieter with subs.

As far as functional issues, pretty much any barrel you buy in the lengths specified will function fine with subs and will be overgassed with supers. Personally I wouldn't put one together without an adjustable gas block.
Why exactly did you go for the 8.5", Shushh? What will you be using it for?
Last edited by Moniz on Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shushh

Post by Shushh »

Moniz wrote:Why exactly did you go for the 8.5", Shushh? What will you be using it for?
No really exact reason, all I can really do is ramble off some thoughts.

I'm setting mine up as a compact PDW/truck/bag gun with a suppressor so shorter is better. 8.5 seemed like a number that was long enough for good performance and no significant function issues. That shorter hurts performance too much and wasn't worth it, that and well, I got a deal on it. It's not like I choose between 8, 8.5, 9, etc.

It's also my first 300blk and first suppressor so I'm learning, seemed like a safe number, rather common, etc. Maybe in the near future I'll go shorter when I'm more sorted out, reloading, etc. I can't see myself ever going longer though, not for my goals with this sucker. Short barrel performance is kinda the forte of this cartridge and I want to take advantage of that.

Course, I've already changed my mind on several things with this sucker that I figured I had decided, so, there's that.
Gman2017

Post by Gman2017 »

Welcome aboard...I was wanting a compact suppressed pdw type sbr so I went with a 8” BA barrel. Still waiting on my Sandman-S to get out of jail.