110gr supersonic 300blk with cfe blk, safe for 9mm suppressor thats rated 300 subs only?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

g0rd0

110gr supersonic 300blk with cfe blk, safe for 9mm suppressor thats rated 300 subs only?

Post by g0rd0 »

I've been loading subsonics with cfe blk and never really bothered to look at using it for supers and it turns out that the chamber pressures are at 35,800 psi with a 110gr vmax loaded with cfeblk powder going around 2300fps. Compared to other powders which give around 48,000 psi, and some factory loads at 50k+, pretty big difference.

Since most 9mm suppressors(other than welded ones) can't shoot supersonic 300 blk because of those high pressures, would it be safe enough to shoot this particular load through a "subsonic 300blk only" suppressor? 35k psi is around the same as 9mm which they are rated for. It seems on paper that it would be fine, but I want to ask what you guys think of this. I saw a johnnys reloading bench video on this particular load and apparently it does shoot very good.

I emailed rugged the other day but havn't heard back yet..
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: 110gr supersonic 300blk with cfe blk, safe for 9mm suppressor thats rated 300 subs only?

Post by dellet »

Chamber pressure means nothing when it comes to suppressors. What you need to worry about is muzzle pressure. Muzzle pressure is determined more by barrel length and powder burn rate.

CFE leaves a lot of unburned powder, has a high gas volume and probaly more than average muzzle pressure. This is what helps it cycle reliably where other powders won't.

Depending on barrel length, I would be more worried about that particular powder sandblasting the internals to death, than too much pressure, but would still want to know muzzle pressure before trying it.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
g0rd0

Re: 110gr supersonic 300blk with cfe blk, safe for 9mm suppressor thats rated 300 subs only?

Post by g0rd0 »

dellet wrote:Chamber pressure means nothing when it comes to suppressors. What you need to worry about is muzzle pressure. Muzzle pressure is determined more by barrel length and powder burn rate.

CFE leaves a lot of unburned powder, has a high gas volume and probaly more than average muzzle pressure. This is what helps it cycle reliably where other powders won't.

Depending on barrel length, I would be more worried about that particular powder sandblasting the internals to death, than too much pressure, but would still want to know muzzle pressure before trying it.
I could be wrong, it may be muzzle pressure, whatever is listed on hodgdon website is what I mean. They test out of a 16in barrel and that particular load says 35,800 psi
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

g0rd0 wrote:
dellet wrote:Chamber pressure means nothing when it comes to suppressors. What you need to worry about is muzzle pressure. Muzzle pressure is determined more by barrel length and powder burn rate.

I could be wrong, it may be muzzle pressure, whatever is listed on hodgdon website is what I mean. They test out of a 16in barrel and that particular load says 35,800 psi
The listed pressure will be peak or max and that generally happens in the first inch or of the barrel.

Muzzle pressure, what is still left when the bullet exits, is what will stress the suppressor. Depending on barrel length powder choice and even load particulars, that pressure can be 5,000-20,000 pounds.

It's not often that you will see a 300 Blackout load with less than 5000 PSI that will cycle an AR. Flip side is that you won't often see a 9mm load over 5,000 at the muzzle.

I don't know the numbers for CFE, but in general, lower peak pressure has higher muzzle pressure.

It will be interesting to see the response you get.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.