A build help

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: A build help

Post by John A. »

It depends. Technically, the depth should be fixed measurement from the very top of the receiver to the floor of the channel.

But some companies measure from the top of their jig, which convolutes things.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

John A. wrote:It depends. Technically, the depth should be fixed measurement from the very top of the receiver to the floor of the channel.

But some companies measure from the top of their jig, which convolutes things.

I think I understand. So, I am off to research that measurement. Unless a jig makes it fool proof.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for government but illegal for the citizenry - Thomas Jefferson

It is when a people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains - Patrick Henry

GOA member!
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

There's nothing foolproof about making a gun from a piece of aluminum.

Just look up ar15 blueprints. They'll have all the measurements on there.

Oftentimes, the jig company will also provide this along with their jig.

Then you have to buy the proper size drill bits and endmill bits and such. If you don't already have them of course. Also the xy milling table and drill press if you don't have one.

MSM would have you believe that it's a snap. But that's not the case.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lo ... ne-n719121
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

John A. wrote:There's nothing foolproof about making a gun from a piece of aluminum.

Just look up ar15 blueprints. They'll have all the measurements on there.

Oftentimes, the jig company will also provide this along with their jig.

Then you have to buy the proper size drill bits and endmill bits and such. If you don't already have them of course. Also the xy milling table and drill press if you don't have one.

MSM would have you believe that it's a snap. But that's not the case.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lo ... ne-n719121

I have noticed that. I really appreciate your time for sure.

I am hoping my friend can help.

I am thinking he still has his Jig.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for government but illegal for the citizenry - Thomas Jefferson

GOA member!
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

Another 2 questions.

I was shown a smoking deal and all that is missing is the lower.

First, what am I looking for when it comes yo a lower? Anodized? Cero Forged? Something else?

The deal I was looking at comes with a 1:7 8.5" barrel. I was looking at a 10.5".

In relation to velocity, accuracy and effectiveness, is there a major difference? Should I stick with a longer barrel?

What effects does it have with supers? Is 1:7 limited on how heavy I can go or is this solid all the way to the 220 if need be?

Thanks.

GOA member!
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Jarem08 wrote: First, what am I looking for when it comes yo a lower? Anodized? Cero Forged? Something else?

In relation to velocity, accuracy and effectiveness, is there a major difference? Should I stick with a longer barrel?

What effects does it have with supers? Is 1:7 limited on how heavy I can go or is this solid all the way to the 220 if need be?

Thanks.
Anodizing is the black coating on the lower. The 80's can be finished with something else if you prefer. Or even left alone.

Cerro Forge is just one company that makes receivers.

Are you making a pistol or a rifle? Minimum rifle length is 16 inches anyway unless you jump through the hoops to SBR the lower.

If you're making a pistol, 10 inches will do well with subs or supers.

1:7 will handle 220's just fine.
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

John A. wrote:
Jarem08 wrote: First, what am I looking for when it comes yo a lower? Anodized? Cero Forged? Something else?

Thanks.
Anodizing is the black coating on the lower. The 80's can be finished with something else if you prefer. Or even left alone.

Cerro Forge is just one company that makes receivers.

Are you making a pistol or a rifle? Minimum rifle length is 16 inches anyway unless you jump through the hoops to SBR the lower.

If you're making a pistol, 10 inches will do well with subs or supers.

1:7 will handle 220's just fine.
I am making a pistol. Here was what I found.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-8-5 ... ampaign=cl

I mainly use 125 gr loading with Lil' Gun powder.

Should I go to 10 or 10.5 or will this do my preferred load and everything from the 220 Dow to the 110?

I did see the 220 was gtg but I barely shoot subs (never have as a matter of fact). I just want that option if I need to.

GOA member!
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Mine has an 8.5" barrel, and I have shot a handful of 120 grainers and it shot fine, though I don't know how well at longer distances because I don't generally get to stretch its' legs beyond 100 yards very often so I'll defer you to someone who can answer the question better.

I tend to shoot all subs, and suppressed and within 100 yards. So, I know it will do that just fine. But I don't want to steer you wrong about supers either and will defer to someone who will be able to answer that better than I.
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

100 yards is about my range here. So if it works at 120, 125 should be fine.

I do appreciate the help and if push comes to shove, I can sell parts from the kit and make it mine :mrgreen:

If you know anyone that has this answer or even if I should go longer, I would be grateful to hear from them.

Thank you again for all the help.

GOA member!