Moe p-mag problems with my AK-47

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Moe p-mag problems with my AK-47

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

It would seem that the p-mag ak moe mag is larger slightly in specs so that i cant get the front lip of the mag in my mag well where it belongs so i can rock in the rest of the way.
It is an older wasr 10, im debating whether to file the front corners of the mag well or not.

Anyone have experience like this ?

Comparing the steel mags that work well tells me the p mag is over dimension (at least for my ak)

Just got (1) 20 rd and (2) 10 rd moe ak p mags, just used my steel ones before and all was well, but i have about $50 in p mags i would like to work.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Re: Moe p-mag problems with my AK-47

Maybe i should have named this thread "gunsmithing"

Don't worry guys Im partial to my AR in 300 Blk over 7.62x39. This was my Dad's before he passed, its alot of fun to shoot also i might add, its pretty easy to shoot irons out to 500 yards with it, once i stripped it and did a thorough cleaning and cleaned out the bcg with brake cleaner( acetone) it no longer has misfires.

If any of you AK guys out there (or others) have heard of this, i just wanted to get some ideas or hear what others know about the subject.

Feel free to chime in.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

ThreeHundredBlackout wrote:It is an older wasr 10, im debating whether to file the front corners of the mag well or not.
Never experienced your problem, but curious why you would consider modifying the rifle rather than the out of spec mags.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

I didnt know if i removed material from the mags if they would be prone to breaking, it would appear that there are 2 little corners on the receiver that if filed maybe a 16th it would possibly work with the mags without having to mod every new mag i buy.........but idk, i just wanted to hear what others had to say before i make a move.

I tried to read and find info elsewhere by googling but didnt want to keep doing it the hard way if i could talk with someone who has dealt with similar issues.

I saw one place where a guy seemed to have a similar problem and the above meantioned were the 2 options, thought id throw it out there before i made any mods.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

I've never had a magpul AK mag. Lots of super cheapo Korean mags... Most of them are tight. I file the corners a little bit until they can be jammed in. Once you put them in and take them out a few times, the sharp edges of the receiver "fire form" the mags so they work better.
lextech

Post by lextech »

I would suggest sticking with the mags that lock up and work before modifying the rifle. You may find after opening up the mag well that other mags rattle or are loose. While that probably wont effect function it would be aesthetically displeasing. Theres tons of flavors of comblock mags out there that would be superior to any US mag, even Magpul.

My .02 cents...
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

So many different countries of origin with AK's, it's impossible for 100% of mags to fit 100% perfect in all of them.

I have (a few) AK's and there are some mags that don't fit real well in (some) of them.

So, don't modify the gun. If the mag is just tight, file the plastic mag and leave the gun alone.

Also, I'm a much bigger fan of mil-surp mags rather than any US mag manufacturer.

It sounds like you have a few other mags that work OK. See if you can figure out which work well in it, and just buy those instead of magpuls, tapco, and whoever.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

I havent done anything yet, but i talked with tech support at magpul a couple days ago, he thinks the trunion was incorrectly installed and said to try filing down the contact places on the mags since i only have a few.

I bought a 20 rd just to have a smaller mag and (2) 10 rd mags just incase i decide to hunt with it in states that dont allow standard capacity (30 rd ) ak mags.

I dont know a whole lot about receiver assembly on ak's but may get into it a-little just to learn.

I think i will file down the places on the p-mags and hopefully that will get them working.

Yes, i have 3 good metal mags, no clue who or where they came from, ill measure them and compare specs to other mags in the future before buying.

Anyone know of any low capacity mags that work well ?

I like 30's for most shooting but sometimes its nice to have a short magazine for hunting and such.
lextech

Post by lextech »

Yes. Hungarian "tankers" are 20 rounds. Theres a lot of Chinese 5 rounders out there and even some 10, but those are a little harder to find.

The WASR was built in Romanian, assembled by Cugir, whom makes the same AKs their military uses. The older WASR was imported with a narrower mag well to only accept a 10 round single stack mag and then opened up on a mill by Century, to accept the standard mags. Those ones can have a sloppy mag fit depending on who did the work and what day of the week. Later imports came in with the receivers mag well already opened up to spec. The trunion is not a problem.

It's your gun to do what you chose with. I would modify the mag if it were me. Or just sell off the Magpuls and get some Bulgarian, Hungarian, Romanian, Polish, Chinese, Russian, or Yugo mags.

FWIW, theres even folks who will modify mags to different capacities for you. Bad Element on the AKfiles has a stellar rep for that stuff.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I like magpul, but if their tech told you that the trunion was installed wrong, is full of crap if it works with milsurp mags.

As I tried to touch on earlier, there is no way that a magazine manufacturer could make a 100% compatible magazine with all the different countries that have made them. Most of the countries have their minor differences. And even within the same country depending on which machine they were made. I learned that all too well when making an AK from an demilled receiver. It was the toughest gun project that I ever did in my life to ensure that I lined up the front and rear trunion holes exactly on the 80% receiver to match exactly where the holes were in the original. Don't file on the gun. Doing so will almost certainly make the mags that were made to work in the gun loose, sloppy and you run the risk of messing it up to where it doesn't work with anything if you file too much and in the wrong places.

When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.