What Loads are Most "Standard"

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Candyman87

What Loads are Most "Standard"

Post by Candyman87 »

Hi all-

New to 300 BLK - trying to level set my expectations.

I've finished building a 12.5" upper (I have both a pistol lower and an SBR lower so it will be seeing time on both) with a CMMG 12.5" "M4"-ish barrel (barrel here) on an A2 upper.

Since there is no NATO standard load like there is with 5.56 (M193 and M855), 7.62x51 (M80), I'm trying to understand what the "typical" or "standard" load might be for 300 BLK.

I intend to run both supersonic loads (unsuppressed and suppressed) and subs (suppressed only). Ideally minimal POI shift between subs and supers, but I know that's unlikely.

That being said, is there a load that's more standard for supersonic? i.e. 124 grain vs. 147 grain?

Or subs? i.e. 200 grain vs. 220 grain
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: What Loads are Most "Standard"

Post by bangbangping »

I'm not aware of a "standard" but the majority of super loads would be 110-125 grain. Subs generally 200 and up. That said, with a little work you can load subs for your AR down to 150 or less if you feel like it, or supers as heavy as you want.

You can forget about subs and supers to the same point of impact past 25 yards or so. It just won't happen.
For reference, my sub hunting load takes 3.8 mils come-up at 100 yards to print the same as a relatively slow 150 grain super. Close to 14 inches difference. At 50, about 3.5" difference.
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

There is no standard load, but, in general, one could say the "non-exotic" loads fall into three categories:

1) 110-125gr Supersonics running 2000-2400 FPS, depending in barrel length.

2) "The cheapest load" 147gr M-80 bullet (new or pull-down, depending on availability and how cheap you are) at about 1600-2000 FPS, depending on barrel length.

3) Subsonics, which border on the exotic, because of the wide variety of bullets, bullet weights, and powders which everyone uses.

Although I'm a caster, I throw cast loads more into the exotic, because casters are the most-invested and have many additional variables to take into consideration, but lead bullets themselves are not really exotic, per-se.
Rusty Shackelford

Post by Rusty Shackelford »

I'm watching this post for info as well. I'm new to the 300blk and trying to get an idea of where to start. I met Rebel today and got some good friendly advice from him and I plan to start with 125gr Sierra and Hornady's and see where it gets me. That's part of the fun of loading for a new caliber.
R.
Rusty Shackelford "Bounty Hunter"
withoutremorse42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by withoutremorse42 »

Since you're not reloading, I'll toss in my opinion about factory ammo.

Cheap plinking rounds are often 147 gr
I'd say the most common hunting round is the Barnes 110 TTSX (supersonic)
I'd say the most common subs I've seen are remington white box 220's
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member11084.png[/img][/url]
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Rusty Shackelford wrote:I'm watching this post for info as well. I'm new to the 300blk and trying to get an idea of where to start. I met Rebel today and got some good friendly advice from him and I plan to start with 125gr Sierra and Hornady's and see where it gets me. That's part of the fun of loading for a new caliber.
R.
Glad to see you here Rusty.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Candyman87 wrote:Hi all-

New to 300 BLK - trying to level set my expectations.

I've finished building a 12.5" upper (I have both a pistol lower and an SBR lower so it will be seeing time on both) with a CMMG 12.5" "M4"-ish barrel (barrel here) on an A2 upper.

Since there is no NATO standard load like there is with 5.56 (M193 and M855), 7.62x51 (M80), I'm trying to understand what the "typical" or "standard" load might be for 300 BLK.

I intend to run both supersonic loads (unsuppressed and suppressed) and subs (suppressed only). Ideally minimal POI shift between subs and supers, but I know that's unlikely.

That being said, is there a load that's more standard for supersonic? i.e. 124 grain vs. 147 grain?

Or subs? i.e. 200 grain vs. 220 grain
THe closest things to “standard loads” would be the Remington match ammo.

AAC designed the chamber and operating system around the 220 SMK for subs. Then worked with Sierra to develop the 125 SMK for supers.

The Barnes 110 should probably be considered in the same category, since it was basically designed at the end of the development of the AAC project as the first civilian/hunting round, by the same people.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Rusty Shackelford

Post by Rusty Shackelford »

Glad to see you here Rusty.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, it worked like a charm.

Now, since the OP and I are both using short barrels, it seams to me the light weight bullets will give higher velocity to start with or, will the heavier 125/135 gr bullets start a little slower and have more retained energy down range at say 100-150 yards?
R.
Rusty Shackelford "Bounty Hunter"
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Rusty Shackelford wrote:
rebel wrote:Glad to see you here Rusty.
Thanks for the tip, it worked like a charm.

Now, since the OP and I are both using short barrels, it seams to me the light weight bullets will give higher velocity to start with or, will the heavier 125/135 gr bullets start a little slower and have more retained energy down range at say 100-150 yards?
R.
What length barrel are you shooting?

Comparing three bullets from an 8" barrel:
110 Black Tip (the "standard") BC .289
125 SST (a common favorite) BC .305
150 Gold Dot (the newcomer) BC .360

The velocities for the 110 and 125 are my max velocities from a suppressed 8". For the 150, I'm guessing a bit, as I haven't shot it from a short barrel. Should be close. 100 yard zero.

(hope this formats correctly)
Bul. MVel M Energy 150V 150 Energy Drop
110 2175 1155 ft/lb 1782 775 ft / lb 2.4"
125 2050 1166 ft/lb 1691 793 ft / lb 2.8"
150 1850 1140 ft/lb 1565 816 ft / lb 3.6"

In my mind none of those numbers, including the drop, vary enough to matter more than shot placement will, although the heavier bullet isn't shedding energy as quickly. Sectional density and expansion might matter. You're probably getting toward the lower limit of expansion on the SST. The 150 will, of course, always have a higher sectional density.

Edit: Anybody know how to post formatted data on this site? [table][tr][td] tags don't seem to work.
Last edited by bangbangping on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 8 times in total.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

If you guys haven't seen these threads yet, they're worth a look:

Load catalog index: viewtopic.php?f=141&t=81567 Links to tons of load data.

Max effective range: viewtopic.php?f=145&t=97188 Dr. Phil did a hell of a job putting that one together.