Buffer/tube/spring for super only pistol

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Dealsgapr6

Buffer/tube/spring for super only pistol

Post by Dealsgapr6 »

Ive been reading a lot trying to get clear info on this, but everything I see is related to making subs cycle reliably. I have a 10.5", 1:10 twist blackout upper with a pistol length gas system that I want to turn into a pistol with a stripped lower I have. I'm going to run supersonic ammo only with no can, so I'm setting the gun up to run optimally with that in mind. I need to select a buffer tube, spring, and buffer for this purpose. Im new to 300blk and to short barrels, so I appreciate anyone that can straighten me out here.

Thanks!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Buffer/tube/spring for super only pistol

Post by dellet »

The only difference in buffer tubes is that normally a “pistol tube” will be round so that you can not attach a stock.

A standard carbine spring is fine.

The buffer will be the only real choice. It will basically be matched to gas port size in the barrel. If you know or can measure that it would be helpful. Most likely it will be much larger than needed, but this barrel is already not what would be considered normal for the cartridge. Who ever made the barrel would be the one to really answer the question.

Normally an H2 buffer would be used to allow for shooting subs, un-suppressed.

Shooting only suppers, the port can be much smaller, and buffer lighter if done correctly.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.