Newb, First Post, First 300BLK, Suppressor and Magazines?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Gman2017

Re: Newb, First Post, First 300BLK, Suppressor and Magazines?

Post by Gman2017 »

Newb here & first post. Waiting on form 1 tax stamp so I can build my 8" barreled 300 black out. It will be Aero Precision M4E1 upper and lowers, Ballistic Advantage barrel and MVB PDW stock.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Welcome.

Congratulations.

You know, you could always build it as a pistol now, and when you get your forms, you can install the stock at a later time after you get the stamp back.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Shushh

Post by Shushh »

John A. wrote:
You know, you could always build it as a pistol now, and when you get your forms, you can install the stock at a later time after you get the stamp back.
What he said, that's what mine is an AR pistol with a 8.5" barrel and maxim brace. With things as they currently are with the lack of rules regarding pistol braces I see no point in dealing with the legal BS of owning a SBR. Maybe there's some weird State law I don't know about that would apply to Gman2017. Outside that or for some reason really wanting a good stock with a comb I see no reason.

As a pistol I have no length rules and at least here can carry it loaded, concealed, in my vehicle within reach, etc. With a good pistol brace there's no issues with shouldering it. Only thing I can't technically do is put ammo in it that the ATF considers "ammo piercing". Also a pistol can go back and forth, a lower born as a pistol can become a rifle then go back to pistol. A lower born as a rifle has to stay a rifle and thus to make it short has to be an SBR. Ohh and a suppressed pistol can travel, to take an SBR across state lines you must file a form with the ATF, not so with a pistol, even suppressed.

Ohh I suppose if you're under 21 you can't do a pistol, but can a rifle, but can 18-21 own an SBR, I'm not sure, I think so.

I can only think of one remote scenario where I'd think it worth it to bother with an SBR. That's if somehow I was able to afford and get ownership of a full auto lower. That lower would be a rifle lower, and thus to make it short would then also have to be an SBR. However that's really remote, huge cost, minimal utility, and the state I'm currently in has a ban on FA. But a FA, suppressed, SBR in 300BLK, wow that would be a heck of a thing.
Gman2017

Post by Gman2017 »

Actually I'm waiting on 2 forms. The form 1 has been 4 months and the form 4 has been 2 1/2.
Gman2017

Post by Gman2017 »

Woo Hoo...guess what I got today? My form 1 sbr tax stamp. Took 4 months and 3 days. Now the parts get assembled.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

You dog. I'm still waiting on 2 forms too.

One was submitted the end of June and the other, was sometime late oct.

So that's at least 5 months + right now.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Gman2017

Post by Gman2017 »

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is...why some only take a few months and others longer. I've got 3 others that only took 3 months, I was beginning to worry about this one.