Shooting quiet, Sub-sonic bullet noise

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Re: Shooting quiet, Sub-sonic bullet noise

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

I dont know if this will help any but I was thinking about starting a post about this when i saw this vid on youtube

https://youtu.be/BPwdlEgLn5Q

And i started wondering how to keep a higher bc profiled projectile but get rid of the extra noise.......

It appears to be an increase of the air speed between the nose of the bullet and the bearing surface bc of the change in pressure coupled with speed and bullet shape / design.

Sorry if any of that was already said......i read the whole post, but its late here.

Very interresting thread dellet!
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

There are a number of big programs now where NASA and the other parts of the aviation industry have been conducting a major series of tests and designing supersonic airplanes that substantially reduce the sonic boom of an airplane.

If they can do it with a plane they can do it with a bullet.

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/ne ... -boom.html

https://www.cnet.com/news/supersonic-without-the-boom/

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/lowboom/index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_ ... -59_QueSST
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I quit shooting some cast bullets because of the noise they made flying through the air, even at subsonic velocities. Those with square lube grooves made more noise than those that didn't have lube grooves or live grooves with angle lube grooves.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:I quit shooting some cast bullets because of the noise they made flying through the air, even at subsonic velocities. Those with square lube grooves made more noise than those that didn't have lube grooves or live grooves with angle lube grooves.
I shot a lot of black powder, both round ball and cartridge before hearing protection was discovered. The smallest caliber was 38, largest probably a 75. Some of the smaller bullets made more noise than the larger round balls fired from smooth bores.

Same thing with air rifles, pellet vs BB. You could generally hear the pellet coming before it hit. :mrgreen:

The grooves do make noise.

What’s interesting that people involved with the forum here over time should be able to remember is the evolution in the industry, that is probably due in great part to the people here. In a pretty short time, less than 10 years the advances in suppressor and bullet technology has been huge.

When suppressor manufacturers stepped up their game, the next thing was powders producing less noise and flash. The popularity of the cartridge drove the bullet manufacturers to design bullets that perform at lower velocities. Who would of thought 10 or even 5 years ago things would get to the point of looking at the flight noise of bullets as the next step in shooting quiet.

In some ways the industry is possibly in a De-evolution cycle. (The auto industry has been in one for about 50 years.). Since smokeless powder became standard the trend has been bigger bullets pushed by more powder. Maybe more efficient cartridges will be in the near future, but that will require more efficient shooters. Unless they design sights that let that shoot around corners.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/soldiers-g ... -instantly
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Great topic and conversation Dellet.

I started a somewhat related topic at the sister forum back in the summer about making the hosts more quiet and ways to quieten actions.

Seems that by and large, suppressor technology has hit that noise floor and now people are looking at ways to make everything else more quiet because as we have discussed before, a suppressor is only one part of the picture and only do so much. Powder another aspect. Obviously bullet choice being another. And host gun noise all playing a factor of my quest for the "most quiet" gun ever made. Unless everything is looked at and purpose built toward that goal, it'll never happen.

Not to hijack the topic, but does anyone know what the most quiet gun and host has been to date? It would probably surprise many of you to find out. Hint: It's not the MP5SD.

That honor goes to the 32acp Welrod, of all guns, was an improvised rudimentary design that hardly no one gives props to. Sound (db) wise, is downwards of around 79 db or so which is almost unbelievable today almost 100 years later.

Topics like this always seem to draw my attention. I've been on that quest for a long time now.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

John A. wrote:Great topic and conversation Dellet.

I started a somewhat related topic at the sister forum back in the summer about making the hosts more quiet and ways to quieten actions.

Seems that by and large, suppressor technology has hit that noise floor and now people are looking at ways to make everything else more quiet because as we have discussed before, a suppressor is only one part of the picture and only do so much. Powder another aspect. Obviously bullet choice being another. And host gun noise all playing a factor of my quest for the "most quiet" gun ever made. Unless everything is looked at and purpose built toward that goal, it'll never happen.

Not to hijack the topic, but does anyone know what the most quiet gun and host has been to date? It would probably surprise many of you to find out. Hint: It's not the MP5SD.

That honor goes to the 32acp Welrod, of all guns, was an improvised rudimentary design that hardly no one gives props to. Sound (db) wise, is downwards of around 79 db or so which is almost unbelievable today almost 100 years later.

Topics like this always seem to draw my attention. I've been on that quest for a long time now.
I knew of the pistol, but did not know it was that quiet. Makes you wonder if with modern materials or components if noise could be reduced even more.

The integral design, ported barrel and shear volume of the suppressor, no wonder it was quiet.

Interesting review of the pistol. States they were still in use during Desert Storm.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d12AjvEsaHg

There have been a lot of very good designs that because they were “before their time” either the metallurgy or cost to produce was the reason for failure. Most everything we now use is on old idea recycled with better metals and computerized repeatable tolerances.

Thanks John for bringing this up.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

That's just f-ing cool 8)
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Wipes!

I think the ATF has turned them back into "silencer parts" as of this moment.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

No, there was one company who was selling them as disposable/replacement parts, but the atf told them to knock it off. It only applied to them.

Far as I know, an owner can still make replacement wipes as necessary.

For now.

And until atf changes its' mind again. which is more often than some people change their socks and depending on which one of them you ask.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Looking back it was Dead Air that was dinged for selling wipes for the Ghost....

Here's a chronical of a guy making a copy of a welrod on silencer talk....

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewt ... 0&t=139241

Not quite done, but that guy is truely a master.