Help! Surface rust on old gun.

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Help! Surface rust on old gun.

Post by Freedom1973 »

Dear Helpful Forum,
I have had an incident with one of my favorite rifles. A 1950 WINCHESTER 1894 in 30-30.
The climate controlled storage unit I have my safe in got some flooding recently and I now have surface rust on the barrel and receiver. Any recommendations on how to proceed on vintage rifle? It will now be locked up in my house.
Thank you in advance.
Freedom
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help! Surface rust on old gun.

Post by Bob the nailer »

0000 steel wool and eds's red solvent. will not harm bluing and should clean it right up.
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

Thanks Bob.
Just annoyed because it’s one of my favorites. I will whip up a batch and hop to it tonight.
Thanks again.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

0000 steel wool and oil has been used for a long time. Hopefully it will just be a light surface rust so any pitting will be minor and not noticeable.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

smustian wrote:0000 steel wool and oil has been used for a long time. Hopefully it will just be a light surface rust so any pitting will be minor and not noticeable.
Ed's Red and 0000 steel wool cleaned her right up! Took 5 minutes after procuring the ingredients. A couple dark spots in the bluing but looks a lot better.

The Maverick 88 "truck gun" took the brunt of the moisture. I worked on it first. Some light pitting but I can live with that.
Both oiled, lubed and happy now.
Thanks Guys
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Freedom1973 wrote:
smustian wrote:0000 steel wool and oil has been used for a long time. Hopefully it will just be a light surface rust so any pitting will be minor and not noticeable.
Ed's Red and 0000 steel wool cleaned her right up! Took 5 minutes after procuring the ingredients. A couple dark spots in the bluing but looks a lot better.

The Maverick 88 "truck gun" took the brunt of the moisture. I worked on it first. Some light pitting but I can live with that.
Thanks Guys
If it's any help I live in a low humidity climate and could store some stuff for you. :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

low humidity climate, large selection of 300 Blk rifles and time to shoot em :shock: Blaaa next ye gonna say the wind never blows :lol:
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Just a thought to add, after 0000 and kroil, I sometimes use a paper towel for the final little stubborn spots. They are pretty abrasive, which is why I don't use them on optic lenses.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
g22rmr
Silent But Deadly

Post by g22rmr »

Evaporust is a chemical rust remover available at your local automotive store.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

dellet wrote:
Freedom1973 wrote:

Thanks Guys
If it's any help I live in a low humidity climate and could store some stuff for you. :mrgreen:
Sure thing Dellet!
But only if I get to visit them. And you have to shovel all the solid humidity off the range. Lol!