Help! Surface rust on old gun.

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help! Surface rust on old gun.

Post by Freedom1973 »

g22rmr wrote:Evaporust is a chemical rust remover available at your local automotive store.
I might try that on the Maverick if it starts to come back. Ed’s Red is going to be the go to cleaner from now on. Thanks for all the responses. One of the reasons this forum is excellent. Lots of friendly knowledgeable folks with a sense of humor.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Freedom1973 wrote:
g22rmr wrote:Evaporust is a chemical rust remover available at your local automotive store.
I might try that on the Maverick if it starts to come back. Ed’s Red is going to be the go to cleaner from now on. Thanks for all the responses. One of the reasons this forum is excellent. Lots of friendly knowledgeable folks with a sense of humor.
Evaporust will remove all the bluing along with the rust.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

Bronze wool would be better if you can get it as it won't leave particles of steel material that can cause rust.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

rlandry6 wrote:Bronze wool would be better if you can get it as it won't leave particles of steel material that can cause rust.
Good thinking. Thanks
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

rlandry6 wrote:Bronze wool would be better if you can get it

I pick up copper wool scouring pads from the grocery store household cleaning isle. I use it to scrub out badly plastic fouled smooth bore shotgun barrels.
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

Be nice to see a pic of that rifle. I have Model 94 my father passed down to me. I shot my first deer with it at age 12.

I keep it in a silicone sock in the safe with a dehumidifier rod. I should probably pull it out to check, clean and oil the bore again.
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

I am suspicious that would remove the blueing since it is a form of controlled oxidation.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

Blowout wrote:Be nice to see a pic of that rifle. I have Model 94 my father passed down to me. I shot my first deer with it at age 12.

I keep it in a silicone sock in the safe with a dehumidifier rod. I should probably pull it out to check, clean and oil the bore again.
Here you go. Sorry for the large image.
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

Larger image the better :) Nice looking rifle. Looks like it has some honest wear on the bluing that adds character.

The front sight on my Dad's rifle has a shroud. Don't know when Winchester added those. I believe he bought this from the Corps when he left the service just after WWII. Not sure why the Marines would have a 30-30 around to sell.

300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

Blowout wrote:Larger image the better :) Nice looking rifle. Looks like it has some honest wear on the bluing that adds character.

The front sight on my Dad's rifle has a shroud. Don't know when Winchester added those. I believe he bought this from the Corps when he left the service just after WWII. Not sure why the Marines would have a 30-30 around to sell.

Mine has the proper height front sight and shroud now. I think the previous owner had a mishap with it. I do know it spent a lot of time in and out of a quiver type holster. (had to clean it out really well)
That's a fine looking rifle. Short,, compact and easy to aim rifle. Marines like things like that. ;)