Case Cleaning - Crushed Walnut media in primer pockets

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

SEABEE

Case Cleaning - Crushed Walnut media in primer pockets

Post by SEABEE »

Ok after you stop laughing at this post, has anyone else had issues with using crushed walnut media to clean your brass and the walnut particles getting stuck in the primer pockets? I am beyond irritated at the moment ... I just bought 500 LC head stamped 556 once fired brass, converted them all to 300 Blackout this weekend the old fashion way ... then tossed them in the vibratory cleaner with the walnut media this afternoon and ... UGGGHHHH ... walnut particles stuck in the primer pockets ... anyone else done this and if so what did you do to get the walnut particles out of the primer pockets?
Last edited by SEABEE on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WE BUILD - WE FIGHT - CAN DO
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Re: Crushed Walnut media in primer pockets

Post by golfindia »

I leave the pieces in the holes. Never made a difference.
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Re: Case Cleaning - Crushed Walnut media in primer pockets

Post by Boolit_Head »

I've sifted them out and put the brass back in the tumbler alone. After a few minutes most of the walnut was knocked loose. Noisy but effective.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

No laughing here. :lol: :lol:

An .080” piece of drill rod pushed into a wood dowel for a handle and sharpened to a point on the other end works very well to not only pick out the pocket, but will also fit through the primer hole to push out the tiny pieces that get caught in there. :P
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Life's too short to pick walnut from primer holes. Try some lizard bedding from a pet shop. Same walnut, but ground finer. Cheaper to boot.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I poke it and uniform the flash hole in one step. Flash hole uniformity sounds stupid, but it really makes a difference in groups, reliability and groups - did I say groups?
golfindia wrote:I leave the pieces in the holes. Never made a difference.
Or you can do this for a wonderful smokey flavor :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

I stopped using the vibratory tumblers now that I wet tumble in SS pins. But when I did, I would have that problem, so would tumble first, then deprime/size and manually clean the primer hole. The only problem I had was forgetting to put the nu finish in before the brass..I would get gobs of it in the case, had to clean it out with a pick. Really should look into the SS wet tumble, you should see the dirty water after I tumbled with walnut media and nu finish, I'll post a few more pics up later but here are some cleaned ones.
300Blk Wet Tumbled
Walnut and Nu Finish on the left Wet tumbled on the right, except the center ones are reversed.
This is how dirty the water gets after wet tumbling brass I had already run for an hour in the walnut media
Brass shavings from 300Blk which I formed, reloaded and fired, then wet tumbled.
Last edited by Omega on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

I have a couple boxes of walnut media that I never opened from 10 years ago.

SS media and wet tumbling is the way I go now.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

I keep the spent primers in place when tumbling, and do my brass prep-sizing, de-priming etc.-after tumbling. Since I usually use a flash hole uniformer during brass prep, the primer pockets are clean when I re-prime the case. If you don't uniform your primer pockets, an RCBS primer pocket cleaning tool will get rid of the crud in the pocket very quickly.

In any case, if you tumble with spent primers in, or after de-priming, you're going to have to spend some time cleaning out the primer pocket no matter if what you're cleaning is walnut/corncob tumbling media or primer crud, so choose whichever works best for your process.

The wet tumbling with SS pin media sounds like the cat's *** for brass cleaning. I'll have to look into it.