Case Cleaning - Crushed Walnut media in primer pockets

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

SEABEE

Re: Case Cleaning - Crushed Walnut media in primer pockets

Post by SEABEE »

Silent, I appreciate your response ... I read the article in the link you provided ... GREAT INFO BROTHER !!!
WE BUILD - WE FIGHT - CAN DO
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Mike7.62 wrote:I keep the spent primers in place when tumbling, and do my brass prep-sizing, de-priming etc.-after tumbling. Since I usually use a flash hole uniformer during brass prep, the primer pockets are clean when I re-prime the case. If you don't uniform your primer pockets, an RCBS primer pocket cleaning tool will get rid of the crud in the pocket very quickly.

In any case, if you tumble with spent primers in, or after de-priming, you're going to have to spend some time cleaning out the primer pocket no matter if what you're cleaning is walnut/corncob tumbling media or primer crud, so choose whichever works best for your process.

The wet tumbling with SS pin media sounds like the cat's *** for brass cleaning. I'll have to look into it.
Give tumbling with SS a try, I am not sophisticated as some and remove my brass from the drum by hand and shake out any pins in each case. Never had a pin stuck in the primer pocket and I always tumble after removing the primer. I rinse and then let dry and bag up the brass. Some water contains chemicals/minerals that can react with brass, so never let your brass sit in your tumbler for long!
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

Mike7.62 wrote:I keep the spent primers in place when tumbling, and do my brass prep-sizing, de-priming etc.-after tumbling. Since I usually use a flash hole uniformer during brass prep, the primer pockets are clean when I re-prime the case. If you don't uniform your primer pockets, an RCBS primer pocket cleaning tool will get rid of the crud in the pocket very quickly.

In any case, if you tumble with spent primers in, or after de-priming, you're going to have to spend some time cleaning out the primer pocket no matter if what you're cleaning is walnut/corncob tumbling media or primer crud, so choose whichever works best for your process.

The wet tumbling with SS pin media sounds like the cat's *** for brass cleaning. I'll have to look into it.
I use a media separator from Midsouth.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... ary-sifter
And I use the magnet from Frankford Arsenal to get the pins out the bottom of the pail once I pour most of the water out.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... eel-media)
On my first try, I did leave about 5 pins in the bunch, but after awhile I learned how long to spin the separator, now no pins at all.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

Mid South has all the toys? I shot the Club Championship at Cross Creek with a guy who works there, so I'll check with him about it. Thanks for the heads up.
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

Mike7.62 wrote:Mid South has all the toys? I shot the Club Championship at Cross Creek with a guy who works there, so I'll check with him about it. Thanks for the heads up.
This is the tumbler I use, and recommend, and the best part is it's on sale. It comes with pins ($40 value), and a strainer insert, but I already had the big one so not sure how well it works. I love the double ended container, and it holds a bunch of cases.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... a-tumbler)
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
InMyHumbleOpinion
Silent But Deadly

Post by InMyHumbleOpinion »

bangbangping wrote:Life's too short to pick walnut from primer holes. Try some lizard bedding from a pet shop. Same walnut, but ground finer. Cheaper to boot.
That is what I use and it works great. Also put a dryer sheet torn into 3 strips to help keep dust down.
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

I have a sifter similar to this https://www.eabco.net/Berrys-Pan-Sifter ... 14147.html , but mine has a hole in the middle so it can fit on top of the dry tumbler. The vibration shakes all most all of the media out of the flash holes and into the tumbler bowl.

I usually have more problems with corm cob sticking than with walnut. Usually wet tumble first then dry tumble later to remove sizing lube. I've stopped putting partially wet cases in the dry tumbler to finish drying because of the media getting stuck in the flash hole.
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower