Anyone have a good recipe for unlocking an AGB ?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Anyone have a good recipe for unlocking an AGB ?

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Just thought id throw this out there for fun.

My gun still runs well with supers and subs, but my seekins gas block is no longer adjustable for the moment.

I guess i could try soaking it in something and maybe in the untrasonic ?

Gun still runs well but i was testing some bluedot loads and couldnt get the lock set screw to budge, if memory serves me well i think the lock screw is brass maybe and the adjustment is a standard grub screw.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone have a good recipe for unlocking an AGB ?

Post by dellet »

Kroil is always a good choice, better if you can pull it off and soak it. Dexron transmission fluid also very works well. For both I would heat up a small can and let it soak warm a few hours.

If you haven’t already, I would try to break it loose hot. Fire enough to get the barrel hot then try. Carbon lets loose easier when warm.

If you get the set screw out, turn the adjustment screw in first. This keeps from pulling carbon into the threads. Work it back and forth dropping oil through the set screw hole.

Time and patience are your friend.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Thanks for the response dellet, ill have to get some kroil.
I plan to mess with the block after deer season next month.

Only thing i was worried about is stripping that brass screw head out bc it sits recessed inside the threaded hole a little bit.

I think id like to switch to a different agb with a better adjustment mechanism, so far this has done well for me, thats why i havent messed with it much since i tuned it, but the adjustable part would be nice for testing other loads.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

Ex Umbra wrote:Regarding that you said you would be buying a new GB in the future.....

At etsy.com, search for a store called Cotton Arms.

They sell a .75 inch bore AGB for a mere $28.

It does not have a set screw to lock the adjustment screw, which is not an issue at all. I have been running AGB's since before they were cool. In the old days, no AGB on the market had a means to lock the adjustment screw.

What I do is take the adjustment screw out, and hose it and the threaded hole it lives in with with (automotive) Brake Cleaner to remove all tracers of oil, etc.

Let the cleaner evaporate, which only takes a minute or so.

Apply too much Loctite blue (medium strength) to the threads of the set screw, screw it into the gas block. Let it sit over night.

Next morning, take the screw back out. Again apply a messy dose of Blue to the threads and screw it back in, and let it sit for 24 hours.

Poof done. That provides and maintains firm rotational resistance to the set screw. No lock needed. It maintains firm rotational resistance through many many adjustments of the screw.

I have been doing this to my & customers AGB's for a bunch of years (15?) with zero issues on my or customers rifles.

Rock on, with Jesus!!!!
I have some home made AGBs that use a lock nut, but it's kinda a pita because the hand guard needs to be modified to access the lock nut. I'll have to try the blue loctite trick.
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

+1 on the Kroil.....also works great getting carbon out of the barrel
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Not yet. Have a Syrac one that is locked up. Tried kroil, acetone, little heat, no go. It's on a pistol, 2 on carbines are OK, I run PCd cast through all. I'll pull it and run through the ultrasonic next year, works OK as set now. Don't see any reason for a lock screw on any if the adj. screw is long enough..