Blackout load

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Jarem08
Silent Operator

Blackout load

Post by Jarem08 »

Don't know if this has been done yet:

Favorite blackout load?

So far for me it is a 125 Gr. Hornady SST. Loaded with 18.1 Gr of Lil' gun. Set the bullet to roughly OAL of 2.146".

What do you like?
Last edited by Jarem08 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for government but illegal for the citizenry - Thomas Jefferson

It is when a people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains - Patrick Henry

GOA member!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Blackout load

Post by dellet »

Jarem08 wrote:Don't know if this has been done yet:

Favorite blackout load?

So far for me it is a 125 Gr. Hornady SST. Loaded with 18.1 Gr of Lil' gun. Set the bullet to roughly OAL of 1.3 to 1.45".

What do you like?
I quite sure that load has never been done before, as it is physically impossible. :shock:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Please post a picture of a completed round and show the OAL measurement using calipers. Especially interested in the 1.3".
762SR25

Post by 762SR25 »

When you say 125 SST, are you referring to the old one that was designed to expand at .308 Win velocities or the 300 Blackout specific one?

If the latter please share where you procured them from as I have yet to see them released as a component, just the loaded ammo by Fiocchi.
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

Apparently I have a mini-blackout :lol: !

I have edited the OP to reflect the correct size.

The SST is the .308 specific round. I didn't know they made a specialized 300 blackout SST.

I spoke with Hornady and they were saying that as long as I have 1800 FPS, the round should function as designed. However, I am loading at 18.1 GR and, if what I am reading on my reload data from Hodgsdon is correct, I am pushing a little over 2200 FPS.

Now I need to go see if I can find this blackout round.

ETA: Did a quick search for the SST 300 Blackout specific and on Hornady I could not find any other reference except for what I am using. But, again, it was a quick search. Maybe when I get a little bit more time I will do some digging into this. I did find this: https://dallasreloads.com/product/125-g ... rnady-sst/ but they look like regular SST.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for government but illegal for the citizenry - Thomas Jefferson

GOA member!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

As far as I know, there is only one 125 SST.??? If there is another one, I'd sure like to know about it.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

rebel wrote:As far as I know, there is only one 125 SST.??? If there is another one, I'd sure like to know about it.

Same. When it was referenced between the old SST and the new, I am only familiar with the original one.

GOA member!
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

rebel wrote:As far as I know, there is only one 125 SST.??? If there is another one, I'd sure like to know about it.

damn skippy! theres thousands of us who would love one of those designed for 300blk speeds!
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

The closest that I saw from Hornady was the 135 grain FTX.

This is the Hotnady data.

https://press.hornady.com/assets/site/h ... gr-ftx.pdf
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Could someone look up what the 125 SST minimum expansion velocity is - 8) Thanks.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.