Cycle problems

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Steierknives

Cycle problems

Post by Steierknives »

Finished a 300 recently. Was firing it over the weekend. First shot fired, ejected, and put a round in
the chamber. When I tried to fire it again, the gun wasn't cocked. After readying the second shot.
I had a repeat of the first shot. After readying for the third shot, two rounds fired on the next trigger
pull. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this problem.

Thanks
gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cycle problems

Post by gds »

Do you know how to do a functions check of an AR15?

it sounds to me like your disconnector is not grabbing the hammer during the bolt carrier cycling and the hammer is following the bolt carrier home.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Hammer spring backwards?
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Disco spring upside down. Fat end goes down when you check. Or could be too much gap between the disconnector claw and hammer notch. Either replace fcg or file front of bottom of disconnector until you have approx. .002 between the two. Go slow and check often!!
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

smustian wrote:Disco spring upside down. Fat end goes down when you check. Or could be too much gap between the disconnector claw and hammer notch. Either replace fcg or file front of bottom of disconnector until you have approx. .002 between the two. Go slow and check often!!

if its bad parts out of the box - and not just a spring incorrectly installed - probably safer to just contact the mfg or retailer and get them exchanged than to start filing. those contact surfaces are only case hardened - so a few thousandths thickness of hardened material - and it only takes a few passes with a heavy hand to be out of spec and potentially cause a safety issue. Mil spec trigger parts are cheap and i cant see anyone fighting you over an out of spec FCG part.

additonally once you take a file to a FCG (or any part for that matter) you automatically void any mfg warranty that you may have.

not that it cant be done safely and correctly, but just a couple things for the OP to consider
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Steierknives

Post by Steierknives »

Thanks a lot. It was the disconnect spring. Will be fixing that.