Did you know one of the biggest detriments of the 300blk?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Re: Did you know one of the biggest detriments of the 300blk?

Post by DutchV »

Some people just can't be taught. They already know everything.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:Someone asked for a good supersonic and subsonic powder on FB. I told them IMR 4227 and Lil’gun were good choices. I also said that H110 was not a good subsonic powder after several people recommended it as the best subsonic powder. I was told that I was fake news.

It seems there is an entire segment of 300 Blackout shooters who believe there is no better subsonic powder than H110 and will argue the point. I have had them get livid when I tell them there are powders that work better.
Tell them that if they switch from Lil'gun to Titegroup their groups will shrink by at least 2 MOA and the load data is interchangeable. But for loads past 100 yards they should be using Longshot and data from 296 is suitable. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

gds wrote:Did you know one of the biggest detriments of the 300blk?

Apparently the fact that some loads use what are generally considered powders for magnum pistol loads, means that the 300blk is horrible.

a recent comparison on another board showed that a 6.5g and a 300 blk with with a 123gr and 125gr bullets respectfully out of the same length barrel produced velocities within 100fps, but because the 300blk used a "pistol" powder there was "no comparison".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Some peoples children.
GDS, you are dealing with retards abroad when they seem to be coming here everyday. May need some extra fingers to stick in the holes of the dike. Keep your eyes here buddy! 8)
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
kilibreaux

Post by kilibreaux »

No wonder my early experiments with the 300 AAC were so dismal! AA-7 wasn't the right powder!

The only "problem" with the 300 AAC is it's TOO versatile compared to most other caliber-case combinations! With it's small case capacity, it's a very efficient cartridge from short barrels, and no, it's never going to best the likes of the 6.5 Grendel in the Grendel's "wheelhouse," but then, the 6.5 Grendel isn't nearly as versatile. Sure the .308 Winchester can do all the Blackout can do, but it demands a larger, heavier, harder kicking platform! You can build subsonic loads for the .308, but that's a whole lotta case capacity for 10 grains plus or minus of powder.
The Blackout isn't quite as flat-shooting as the 5.56, but it's bullets are far superior in terms of ballistic coefficient. It is entirely possible to "battlesight zero" a Blackout to 200-225 yards and be able to hold "dead on" out to 300 - same as the 5.56, only the arriving bullet will be carrying twice to thrice or more the mass when it hits. Even subsonic 208 grainers with a B.C. over .600 can arrive many hundred yards downrange with little velocity drop and cancel tickets all night long!

Now, there is nothing "wrong" with the 6.5 Grendel...it's a great round for the framework for which it was designed. In many ways it's superior to the 6.8 SPC save for case shape and dimension. The 6.8 SPC Is also a great "military" round, and perhaps "better" than the 300 AAC when limited to troop issue, but what's really nice is that "we" don't really have to chose just one. We get to own "one of each," and so can "argue" the merits of one versus the other endlessly.
41Bear
Silent Operator

Post by 41Bear »

^^^^^^^
What he said. :mrgreen:
"Still flying like gypsies, just a little closer to the ground" Trace Adkins