Magazines – Lancer L5AWM .300BLK versus Magpul AR-15 300 BLK PMAG

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Re: Magazines – Lancer L5AWM .300BLK versus Magpul AR-15 300 BLK PMAG

Post by TexasEric »

10Driver wrote:TexasEric, I think the Lancer 20 round opaque 300 mags are what “ada” was having issues with.

I’m interested in hearing how yours work.
I thought it was the lancer 556 mags.
Edit: I just re-read his post. You are correct.
The only difference I can think of, is that I am running an American Defense receiver set. I tested the 20 and 30 round mags, unloaded during and after assembly. I had no issues. We will see at the range, hopefully in a few days.
ada
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ada »

Got the following in an Email from Lancer yesterday. {ref: the six 300 BLK 20-round,
black opaque magazines I returned to Lancer}

Our armorer tested them in several rifle, including Colt, HK and Sig.
In all instances, loaded (full and partially) and empty, open and closed bolt,
all magazines dropped free without any type of hangup.
offsidewing
Senior Silent Operator

Post by offsidewing »

I've had nothing but issues with Pmag 300 blk mags. Bought 12 and they all give me fits. Every type of bullet binds. Regular M3 Pmags work fine. Regular Lancers are a dream.
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tktaCwTQO8

This guy in California doesn't like Lancer Mags.

These people had issues also.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Lance ... 17-707277/
10Driver
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 10Driver »

AggieJim,

FYSA, On the video posted by a guy who perhaps has watched too many “Tactical” videos (judging by the over the top clamp grip...literally an arm over the hand guard) and perhaps eaten one too many pallets of twinkies, I seem to recall was already debunked as pure “clickbait” to raise revenues for him.

He may have been a bit disingenuous to make a video about a known problem that had a recall. Please, by all means don’t believe me, make your own honest assessment of this yu toobr and read the remarks on that specific video and then decide for yourself. Maybe I missed something...

I thought the ARF discussion was the same recall related problem, but to be honest, that’s all old news from a few years back and consequently, I don’t recall some of the specifics.

FWIW, I spent a significant amount of time (including reading nearly every single post on this forum) researching exactly which mags to use with 300 BLK and I did fully consider what you posted. I then went ahead with a bulk Lancer L5AWM order.

Now, the issue in this thread seems to be an altogether different, and possibly unresolved one at this time. I’m still waiting to get my hands on some Lancer 300 mags in smoke.

EDIT: I decided to review some of the posts on that yu toob video. Besides restating the obvious about most of it, I did notice an erroneous comment on the 10-round mags. Some guy named Randy Kirkxxx said the 10-round Lancers were made too short! That’s why they’re a bear to insert on a closed bolt.

Actually, if you pull the floor plates on 10s, 20s, and 30s you’ll notice that the post on the spring retainer is taller on the 10s. Lancer verified this is to ensure non free state users can’t load more than 10 cartridges into a 10-round mag. If you’re in a free state, you can replace that part and the mags will work with a closed bolt like the 20s and 30s.

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I didn’t want to perpetuate misinformation.
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

I know this late. My Lancer 300 blk mags are good. No issues loaded or unloaded dropping clear.
10Driver
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 10Driver »

TexasEric wrote:I know this late. My Lancer 300 blk mags are good. No issues loaded or unloaded dropping clear.

Are these opaque or the smoke ones?

Also, are they the 10s, 20s or 30s?
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

10Driver wrote:
TexasEric wrote:I know this late. My Lancer 300 blk mags are good. No issues loaded or unloaded dropping clear.

Are these opaque or the smoke ones?

Also, are they the 10s, 20s or 30s?
2 opaque 20 round mags
4 smoke 30 round mags

Good to go