Need Assistance with New 300 BLK Build!!

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need Assistance with New 300 BLK Build!!

Post by DutchV »

There's nothing wrong with a decent DI rifle. Pistons are good at separating people from their money. Get one if you must, but I'll stick with that $20 gas tube, thanks.

The whole "must be white glove clean" mantra is left over from military service where guys need to be kept busy and taught to follow orders. An AR that is lubed doesn't necessarily need to be cleaned. And yes, there were ammo-related jamming issues at first, but they were resolved. And that was the early 60's, over fifty years ago.

Here's the Filthy 14 with over 50,000 rounds on it. No cleaning, just lube.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?t ... 14.568714/

Sure, they're pushing a specific lube, but any decent one will do. Mobil 1 is eight bucks a quart and works fine.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
10ring1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 10ring1 »

Stick with gas. Can't make a better mousetrap or reinvent the wheel
45scw

Post by 45scw »

Isn't the Marine Corp looking at replacing both the M4 and SAW with piston carbines?
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdl »

DutchV wrote:Mobil 1 is eight bucks a quart and works fine.
I use to use a lot of Mobile 1 and was very happy with it. Then one cold windy early morning while chasing Snow Geese up and down the North Dakota snow line, my Benelli M1 would stiffen up and fail to cycle every time there was a pause in the action. At least till I got a few rounds off to warm it up. A few dollars worth of fuel at the first Cenex solved it for the day, but I stopped using 5w30 from then on. It's just too thick. You never know when you might be standing out in the cold.
asdftehlurr

Post by asdftehlurr »

Well, after much research and debate with myself, I will be going with direct impingement for my new rifle. Thank you to everyone for voicing their opinions and helping me realize that direct impingement is more cost-effective, interchangeable, and reliable.
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

I would also suggest sticking with a pistol length gas tube. I am not sure if you have researched this but from what I have seen, it helps with the off chance that you MUST use subs.

Here is a link with great info: https://www.fogammo.com/blogs/news/why- ... gas-system

I am sure there are many on here who have much better information and knowledge than I do on this but since you are sticking with the DI, this will help with ejection.

If anyone else wishes to correct me if I am wrong, I always appreciate the input.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for government but illegal for the citizenry - Thomas Jefferson

It is when a people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains - Patrick Henry

GOA member!
asdftehlurr

Post by asdftehlurr »

Yes, I already ordered a pistol-length 300 BLK barrel from BA, now the issue would be finding a good bolt carrier, gas tube, and gas block. I’ve been looking into nickel-boron bolt carriers particularly, and was looking into buying the Superlative Arms bleed-off adjustable gas block. Any further guidance on these three components is appreciated.
Jarem08
Silent Operator

Post by Jarem08 »

As for the other three, I would steer you wrong as I don't know what is best.

I have heard of a few (Aero, WMD, Bravo) but really don't know. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for government but illegal for the citizenry - Thomas Jefferson

It is when a people forget God, that tyrants forge their chains - Patrick Henry

GOA member!
10Driver
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 10Driver »

asdftehlurr wrote:Yes, I already ordered a pistol-length 300 BLK barrel from BA, now the issue would be finding a good bolt carrier, gas tube, and gas block. I’ve been looking into nickel-boron bolt carriers particularly, and was looking into buying the Superlative Arms bleed-off adjustable gas block. Any further guidance on these three components is appreciated.

Since a more knowledgeable person hasn’t chimed in, I’ll tell you what I decided on.

First, I also selected a BA barrel but I added on a BA gas block and gas tube. Additionally, the BA armorer drilled and pinned my gas block. I did this because they answered their phone and they promised me it would work. If it doesn’t, they answer their phone!

Now, I originally intended to outfit the build with an SLR or Superlative AGB. SLR was my first choice (by a slim margin) based on positive recommendations on this forum. The Superlative was more of a curiosity interest but I was seriously interested. Since I didn’t actually buy an AGB, I am still on the fence about which brand, but I did narrow the field to those two.

Next, outside of a premium (as in modified and not mil spec) BCG, there was no real definitive answer. Recommendations ran the gamut from AIM, PSA on up the price chain. In the end, I discovered Toolcraft didn’t seem to have any negative reviews. It’s certainly not the sexiest BCG if you’re looking for pizazz, but the quality seems excellent, the price is right and I don’t recall any detractors. Additionally, the vendor I bought it from answers his phone and promised it would work. FWIW, I offered to purchase a BA BCG in conjunction with the barrel. BA made it clear they would gladly sell me a BCG, but said the Toolcraft BCG was excellent.

I felt that was an endorsement of not only Toolcraft, but also BA for being straight forward.

I almost forgot, BA has suggested that they are going to start selling AGBs. After testing with their barrels, Superlative is their choice.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

SLR - I run one and find it adequate. Like the detent adjustments. Just one mention from a user of one. Others may be better now but it's a fairly simple device, can't see much improvement on how it works.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.