USING COPPER FOULING CLEANERS

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Lead Head

USING COPPER FOULING CLEANERS

Post by Lead Head »

Hi all:
I'd like to know how you guys go about cleaning the copper fouling in the barrels.
As far as I can see, the active ingredient in all of the copper removers on the market is Ammonia. Ammonia will do the job with the fouling but is very corrosive. One way of neutralizing it is to use hot soapy water afterwards.
Do any of you use straight Ammonia with the hot soapy water neutralizing technique or do you just use a commercial product like Sweets and nothing to remove the Sweets afterwards?
AND if you do so, do you use some kind of other product to clear the copper cleaner out of the bore?

As always, thanks for replies
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Re: USING COPPER FOULING CLEANERS

Post by alamo5000 »

Lead Head wrote:Hi all:
I'd like to know how you guys go about cleaning the copper fouling in the barrels.
As far as I can see, the active ingredient in all of the copper removers on the market is Ammonia. Ammonia will do the job with the fouling but is very corrosive. One way of neutralizing it is to use hot soapy water afterwards.
Do any of you use straight Ammonia with the hot soapy water neutralizing technique or do you just use a commercial product like Sweets and nothing to remove the Sweets afterwards?
AND if you do so, do you use some kind of other product to clear the copper cleaner out of the bore?

As always, thanks for replies
I use the foaming bore stuff. I think my local stores carry some from Gunslick.

I will normally do about two applications back to back with a slight scrub in between with a good rod and a wire brush. After I am done I run a bore snake or some patches (or both) down the bore and leave it be.
Roverhound
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Roverhound »

I use Sweets 762 and clean up with Butch's Bore Shine.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Copper removal = Boretech Elliminator
No Smell, Non Toxic, and Extremely Effective!
After an extensive search, this is the only product I would consider.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
Lead Head

Post by Lead Head »

Thanks for the recommendations. Much appreciated
LH
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

Dr.Phil wrote:Copper removal = Boretech Elliminator
No Smell, Non Toxic, and Extremely Effective!
After an extensive search, this is the only product I would consider.
Thanks for sharing. I will be trying this out.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Wipe Out plus the accelerator speeds up the foam and will remove copper like nothing we've used. I mean, copper in barrels that other brands left behind. I also shoot a lot of CFE 223 powder and it certainly reduces or nearly eliminates copper build up. In our .223's and 22-250's, after a day blasting PD's and ground grizzlies, copper in most nice barrels is all gone. YMMV
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

I have for years used Hoppe's #9 to get out the powder fouling. Once the powder is almost gone I use a copper cleaner from Pro-Shot products. Once it starts to come out clean, I use CLP to oil the bore. Have had no issues.