Mags falling out

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

erazor55

Mags falling out

Post by erazor55 »

I took my brand new build out to the range the other day. In an effort to differentiate my .223/5.65 from 300 gear I purchased FDE colored magazines. So, brand new build, new to me caliber, brand new magazines.

After shooting 2-3 rounds, I noticed a failure to feed. Looked down and the magazine had dropped from a locked in position. Cleared the weapon, re-inserted the mag, tightly, and the same thing happened again. Another guy down the range from me was shooting 300 as well. I asked him to try my mag, and the same thing happened on his weapon.

Once at home I compared these new mags to some older steel mags. The steel mags have a cutout that is through the entire mag, while the plastic mags do not. There is an indention for the magazine to catch, but doesn't go all the way through.

Anyone else have problems with mag catch not holding the mags tight enough?

These were mags purchased from Classic Firearms that had good ratings, but don't know if the shock from 300 is too much for them.
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Re: Mags falling out

Post by TreeTopFlier »

Make sure you have your mag release installed far enough in. Use a tool to push the release button as far into the lower as it will go and see if you can give the release catch on the opposite side a couple more spins in the tightening direction and still drop back in the slot when you release the button. I may just be an adjustment issue.
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

TreeTopFlier wrote:Make sure you have your mag release installed far enough in. Use a tool to push the release button as far into the lower as it will go and see if you can give the release catch on the opposite side a couple more spins in the tightening direction and still drop back in the slot when you release the button. I may just be an adjustment issue.
Yep. The rod end should be flush with the surface of the mag button.
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Post by dpete »

erazor55 wrote:Another guy down the range from me was shooting 300 as well. I asked him to try my mag, and the same thing happened on his weapon.
If it happened in someone else's weapon too it probably isn't his mag catch. Could be but more than likely an off brand mag defect. Who made the mag?
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

I use mil-spec, Magpul or Lancer mags, and they're usually fine. I don't know anything about the ones you have.

I'd try some different magazines, preferably ones that are known to be good.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
InMyHumbleOpinion
Silent But Deadly

Post by InMyHumbleOpinion »

Had that problem too, I used a knife for make the notch the mag catch engages sharper and deeper.
erazor55

Post by erazor55 »

plant.one wrote:are these the mags you bought?

https://www.classicfirearms.com/rwb-ar1 ... mag-de-win
Yes - those are the ones.
erazor55

Post by erazor55 »

InMyHumbleOpinion wrote:Had that problem too, I used a knife for make the notch the mag catch engages sharper and deeper.
I'll give that a try. I've thought of opening the cut out all the way into the mag, like my steel mags.

Thanks all for the feedback.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

try one. whats the worst you're out, $10.

just be gentle and test as you go.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.