New to Blackout

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gunman42782

New to Blackout

Post by gunman42782 »

Been shooting and reloading for 35 years, but have never shot or reloaded for the 300 Blackout. I got a great deal on a stripped lower, and was tired of building 5.56 rifles and pistols, so I found another really great deal at CDNN on a 300 build kit. Just got it done today. I loaded up 100 rounds of 125 grain rounds, and now I got to work the next few days, won't get to try it out till Monday. Anyway, I thought I would join your group here and learn all I could about the round. Have no interest, or should I say little interest, in the sub-sonic rounds, as I am not going to go through all the government hoops to get a suppressor. I doubt if I will ever hunt with this round, probably just ring steel. Anyway, I am a Certified NRA Instructor in rifle, pistol, and shotgun. Worked 7 years at Knob Creek Gun Range. And a NRA Endowment Life Member. Glad to be here.
ozleux
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to Blackout

Post by ozleux »

Welcome! There's a ton of great info here.
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"
sellersm

Post by sellersm »

Welcome to the 300 BLK 'family'! Pics?
withoutremorse42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by withoutremorse42 »

Welcome. As said, tons of great info here, though the board is a great deal less active than it used to be.

Suppressed or not, 300 can make a fantastic hunting round. Deer/wolves have been no problems, and watched my brother take a bull moose (that I had chased all over the place).

Enjoy your stay
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member11084.png[/img][/url]
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

gunman42782 wrote:Been shooting and reloading for 35 years, but have never shot or reloaded for the 300 Blackout. I got a great deal on a stripped lower, and was tired of building 5.56 rifles and pistols, so I found another really great deal at CDNN on a 300 build kit. Just got it done today. I loaded up 100 rounds of 125 grain rounds, and now I got to work the next few days, won't get to try it out till Monday. Anyway, I thought I would join your group here and learn all I could about the round. Have no interest, or should I say little interest, in the sub-sonic rounds, as I am not going to go through all the government hoops to get a suppressor. I doubt if I will ever hunt with this round, probably just ring steel. Anyway, I am a Certified NRA Instructor in rifle, pistol, and shotgun. Worked 7 years at Knob Creek Gun Range. And a NRA Endowment Life Member. Glad to be here.
Hi there and welcome!

This is a good place to get some info and a pretty good community at that :)
nksmfamjp

Post by nksmfamjp »

Welcome and good luck with your reloading...I have struggled some, but have ended up ok....

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=101818
Iceberg

Post by Iceberg »

I’ve been loading for 300BLK for about 6 months. I have researched loading for subsonic and found a few loads on The Hogdon Reloading site, but not much subsonic info. Today I found the new pages for 300BLK in my Sierra 5th edition reloading manual. They’re now in my manual and of great interest to me was the fact that they list subsonic loads for everything from 110 gr to 240 gr! No more searching the web for loading data. I bought Trail Boss for subsonic 556 and 308, now I can use it for the lighter bullets in 300BLK. My journey for subsonic loads is at an end, but my quest for more knowledge of the 300BLK brings me here to you fine folks. There is a lot of knowledge to be gleaned here and as questions arise I will ask! Thank you for establishing this blog and have a truly Blessed day!
If you want peace, prepare for war!
alamo5000
Silent But Deadly

Post by alamo5000 »

Iceberg wrote:I’ve been loading for 300BLK for about 6 months. I have researched loading for subsonic and found a few loads on The Hogdon Reloading site, but not much subsonic info. Today I found the new pages for 300BLK in my Sierra 5th edition reloading manual. They’re now in my manual and of great interest to me was the fact that they list subsonic loads for everything from 110 gr to 240 gr! No more searching the web for loading data.
This sounds great. Does it have cast bullet information as well?

Moving from jacketed to cast bullets was initially a challenge but I am getting much closer to getting it down pat.

I am very interested in the load data you have though.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

gunman42782 wrote:Been shooting and reloading for 35 years, but have never shot or reloaded for the 300 Blackout. I got a great deal on a stripped lower, and was tired of building 5.56 rifles and pistols, so I found another really great deal at CDNN on a 300 build kit. Just got it done today. I loaded up 100 rounds of 125 grain rounds, and now I got to work the next few days, won't get to try it out till Monday. Anyway, I thought I would join your group here and learn all I could about the round. Have no interest, or should I say little interest, in the sub-sonic rounds, as I am not going to go through all the government hoops to get a suppressor. I doubt if I will ever hunt with this round, probably just ring steel. Anyway, I am a Certified NRA Instructor in rifle, pistol, and shotgun. Worked 7 years at Knob Creek Gun Range. And a NRA Endowment Life Member. Glad to be here.
My opinion is reloading or handloading as some say, really brings the 300 Blackout to the point of a useful tool. I never owned a suppressor until I bought this rifle. Glad I did. First 300 BO was a Rem bolt gun. Now having a threaded barrel is a feature I look for.