Does muzzle brake Affect Accuracy ?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BulletFactory
Silent Operator

Does muzzle brake Affect Accuracy ?

Post by BulletFactory »

Pretty much what the title says. Does the style of muzzle brake affect the accuracy of the round? The reason I'm asking, is because I have a dragons head muzzle brake, and wasnt sure if it was a detriment or just cool. My SBR is called Dragons Breath, after my daughter. With tracers, it's a fire breathing dragon. :lol: It sits down inside the handguard a couple inches. It has its own cave. I was afraid of fracturing the handguard, but it's got around a thousand rounds through it with no issues.

http://spitzlead.com/
QuietMike
Silent But Deadly

Re: Does muzzle brake Affect Accuracy ?

Post by QuietMike »

Anytime you add or subtract weight from the barrel, it can affect accuracy by changing the harmonics.
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

Sorry sir . . . that is not a muzzle brake.
Other than that . . . like Mike sez. BUT - - -> if cool for you . . . GREAT !! --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

That is unique, I kind of like it. If you have 1k rounds through it and are happy with the performance and accuracy then good deal. To directly answer your original question, almost every change you make to a rifle or your ammo has an affect on accuracy to one degree or another however small. Some will be positive and some negative. Probably not a helpful answer but generally an actual break has a very minimal affect either way but has a significant affect on recoil reduction indirectly improving accuracy. Like quiet mike says though ANY weight added to the barrel can alter harmonics so the only way to be sure is to test it.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

I would be much more concerned about how uneven the powder gasses are upon exiting the barrel/flash hider, and the effects that they will have when impinging on the base of the bullet. That will have a great deal of influence on accuracy, as uneven gas impingement on the base can induce yaw and instability in the bullet. That's part of the reason that the crown is an important part of the barrel, and an uneven or damaged crown greatly affects bullet stability and flight characteristics. That device looks like it will be a very good trap for powder gasses, and will play merry hob with how they leave the barrel, causing all kinds of cross currents which will affect the bullet's flight.

If looking cool is the goal, you have achieved it. If best accuracy is the goal, then you might rethink the use of this device.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

pruhdlr wrote:Sorry sir . . . that is not a muzzle brake.
Other than that . . . like Mike sez. BUT - - -> if cool for you . . . GREAT !! --- pruhdlr
I agree, but calling it a hood ornament isn't going to sell as well.

Also, if they label it a flash hider, which it probably is to some degree, then they can't sell it in the biggest US market: California.