Can the overall length for 300Blk vary?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Lead Head

Can the overall length for 300Blk vary?

Post by Lead Head »

Hi all:
So I've gotten all the reloading components to start on 300Blk.
I just want to get clear on one thing and that is the overall length. I've researched this and out of the 4 sources I came across, they all say 2.260.
I'm only going to be shooting these rounds out of an AR and would like to know if the 2.260 dimension is set in stone.
Of course I know that feeding is the first concern with an auto gun, but would like to know if any of you diverge from 2.260 with an AR.
I'm shooting 125 gr. bullets with no canelure.

Thanks for replies
Smurky
Silent Operator
Location: Democratic Peoples Republik of Dane County Wisconsin

Re: Can the overall length for 300Blk vary?

Post by Smurky »

Lead Head wrote:Hi all:
So I've gotten all the reloading components to start on 300Blk.
I just want to get clear on one thing and that is the overall length. I've researched this and out of the 4 sources I came across, they all say 2.260.
I'm only going to be shooting these rounds out of an AR and would like to know if the 2.260 dimension is set in stone.
Of course I know that feeding is the first concern with an auto gun, but would like to know if any of you diverge from 2.260 with an AR.
I'm shooting 125 gr. bullets with no canelure.

Thanks for replies
2.260 is max length using a magazine in the AR15. COAL can vary quite a bit, bullet manufacturers ususally recommend a COAL for each bullet. The published COALs along with published load data should result in safe pressures and published velocities in similarly configured rifle, but there is always a disclaimer for load data. Deviating can have devastating results if you’re not very careful and fully understand what you’re doing, even then problems can occur. For example a bullet seated deeper (shorter COAL) than recommended will usually result in higher pressure and potentially excessive pressure (KABOOM) can occur.

I would suggest reviewing more of the posts on 300blk regarding changing bullet seating depths and what occurs before deviating from published load data.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

what sources are you referring to?

that might help us level the conversation a bit :)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Lead Head

Post by Lead Head »

what sources are you referring to?

that might help us level the conversation a bit :)

The sources I got it from are:
A chart in Brownell's
Wikipedia
The Hogedon site
And I forgot the other one

ANYWAY, you guys have scared me enough; I'll be sticking to the stated OAL. LOL
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

my post wasnt about scaring you - it was about furthering the converstaion.

so i should have added - what 125gr bullet are you using, specifically which mfg and which 125gr bullet of theirs are you using?

not all 125gr bullets are equal, especailly when it comes to speciality bullets.

details are important when it comes to reloading.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Lead Head

Post by Lead Head »

Hey, I was only kidding about you scaring me. I've been reloading since the 70s and am still here.
The bullets I'm starting out with are Speer 125gr TNT. They're just flat base spire points.
My only concern when it comes to the 300Blk ( or any other caliber for that mater ) is that I don't want to use a load where the bullet compresses the powder in the case.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

I usually load my speer 125gr TNTs to an COAL of 2.075
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

....most of the powder manufacturers web sites that offer load data will publish the COAL figures for the bullets they have tested. The AAC manual contains some recommendations for handloading both sub and supersonic ammo here ---> http://www.advanced-armament.com/assets ... iniBro.pdf
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Lead Head wrote:Hey, I was only kidding about you scaring me. I've been reloading since the 70s and am still here.
The bullets I'm starting out with are Speer 125gr TNT. They're just flat base spire points.
My only concern when it comes to the 300Blk ( or any other caliber for that mater ) is that I don't want to use a load where the bullet compresses the powder in the case.
Sometimes compression is desirable, sometimes it is not. Depends on the powder, and the bullet. You should be a bit scared, it's new and you can get into trouble quick if you haven't messed with these type cartridges before. Magnum pistol powder doesn't suffer fools. Not that you are one, just preaching a bit of caution.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.