Subsonic Defense Ammunition

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

45scw

Subsonic Defense Ammunition

Post by 45scw »

I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to research 300 BLK ammunition. There seem to be a lot of manufacturers making heavy subsonic FMJ, a few making really exotic ammo like LeHigh, and some relatively new product like 190 grain Hornady, which looks very good. For supersonic, I see recommendations for 110 grain Barnes all over Google.

Is there much in the way of bonded ammunition in 300 BLK? If so, whose do you like?

Is there an FMJ subsonic with decent barrier penetration, or would you have to go to something like copper alloy in a heavy subsonic because the FMJ is more for target and breaks up?

Any other recommendations in subsonic 300 BLK?

Thanks,
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Re: Subsonic Defense Ammunition

Post by hardcase »

Don't mean to hog your thread but I'd like to add the ability to go through two layers of 1/2 inch sheet-rock (the construction of most interior walls of average homes) and still have enough umph to at least slow down, if not stop the bad guy around the corner. Ideally, I'd like to see the target but if someone has their hand around the corner with a handgun spraying my direction I'd like the ability to stop them.
45scw

Post by 45scw »

Not stepping on my thread at all.

I think we are both looking for recommendations on subsonic defense rounds.
Naporter
Silent Operator

Post by Naporter »

You could try any commercial loading with the 200 or 220 Maker bullet. They’re supposed to be barrier blind.

If you’re looking for subs only, that doesn’t leave many options. Lehigh has some expanding subs I believe, and of course there’s always cast hp’s if you reload. As for supers, there’s a lot of love out there for the Barnes bullet. Easy to see why too. It was specifically made for the caliber and does it’s job well, like most of their offerings.
Recoil737
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Recoil737 »

I have shot most of the expanding subs that are out there. I haven't had the chance to try the new hornady though.

With that said the best subsonic expanding bullet that I have used was the 194gr Lehigh Defense. It won't expand until it hits something wet. That means it will easily go through drywall and then expand rapidly once it hits flesh. The only problem I found with is was the expense as they are not cheap. Since I made this my go to round for home defense I had to make sure it worked in my rifle without any problems so I did some rapid fire and steady aimed fire of nearly two magazines worth on paper. That cost me almost $150 but it is worth it to have the piece of mind that it will cycle when I need it most.
Naporter
Silent Operator

Post by Naporter »

Those are some expensive rounds there. $150 for two mags? And I though the Makers were expensive.

Just to be clear though, were those handloads or factory? I’m guessing factory because of the cost.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Forget about using subsonic rounds for self defense. They will over penetrate just as bad, and probably worse, than a lightweight supersonic round. Especially if you hit anything other than soft flesh because most bullets designed to expand at reduced velocities become ineffective when the nose becomes damaged. And as we see everyday subsonic rounds have more reliability problems than supersonic loads as well. And inside a house both are going to be loud, even with a silencer. Inside a home the distance is so short you will never hear a supersonic crack. The only thing that is louder with supersonic rounds is the port gasses escaping and that can be mitigated with a tuneable gas system.

Use the lightest, and fastest, supersonic round you can find.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

As DS so eloquently stated, subsonic rounds will penetrate much greater than supersonic ones.
If you are set on using a subsonic for self defense, go with the Lehigh Controlled Fracturing.

A much better choice is a super sonic Lehigh defense Close Quarters bullet.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015 ... ng-bullet/
It is an absolutely devastating round that has the least potential for over penetration of all 300 BLK projectiles.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Dr.Phil wrote:As DS so eloquently stated, subsonic rounds will penetrate much greater than supersonic ones.
If you are set on using a subsonic for self defense, go with the Lehigh Controlled Fracturing.

A much better choice is a super sonic Lehigh defense Close Quarters bullet.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015 ... ng-bullet/
It is an absolutely devastating round that has the least potential for over penetration of all 300 BLK projectiles.
Absolutely - agree 100% I shot them in a 2 gal. cheap plastic container filled with water at 50 feet. The recovered pieces of the bullet were contained though the energy delivered was massive. Keep it in a 1-7 or slower twist. Just ask dellet :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

The sound is what I figured. I have shot a .45 ACP (sub-sonic) in a approx 15x15 room without a can and was in a smaller room when a 12 ga was touched off. Can't hear a thing. In fact can't hear a thing for a couple days. :lol: Definitely not like TV or the movies.