Page 31 of 35

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:19 pm
by hogcaller
For the most part, these bullets have passed through completely.....even on big hogs. The hogs in the pics above ranged from 50 lbs to 275 lbs. Most shots were inside of 100 yards while spot and stalk thermal hunting.
hogcaller wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:34 am
Got another 200 pound boar last night. First shot was quartering away at 75 yards. Bullet entered around the 7th rib and didn't exit. When I approached the hog he was still kicking. I used this opportunity to fire one round into the vitals at around 10 feet. The bullet passed through and I recovered this bullet 8" deep in the soil. I didn't recover the initial bullet as it was already late and I had to get up and get to work early this morning. Anyway, here's a pic of the hog and the bullet.

Image

Image

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 pm
by dellet
hogcaller wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:07 pm
Do y'all not go back in these threads? lol I posted some recovered bullets about a month ago........I also posted load data......
Oh now that would be like looking for load data first instead of asking :mrgreen:

I thought that one of these you posted this morning might have been the biggest one yet

Image

Image

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:00 pm
by hogcaller
dellet wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 pm
hogcaller wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:07 pm
Do y'all not go back in these threads? lol I posted some recovered bullets about a month ago........I also posted load data......
Oh now that would be like looking for load data first instead of asking :mrgreen:

I thought that one of these you posted this morning might have been the biggest one yet

Image

Image

LOL! The one my son shot in top pic was the biggest we've killed with these bullets.

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:17 am
by bangbangping
hogcaller wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:00 pm
Image

Image
Nice.
How far on average are you seeing these things run when shot like these two with the GD?

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:40 am
by hogcaller
The top boar dropped in his tracks. The bottom pic of the sow ran about 20 yards. You can see the exit wound in the pic. The exit hole was about the size of a quarter, and the bullet drug out some lung tissue with it.

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:00 pm
by tallburnedmidget
Nice kills guys! Look like the bullet is a killer for sure :)

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:56 am
by fancygunz
rb288 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:27 am
Ok, so, I have been playing with this bullet for a while now, and am just starting to get it figured out.
However, it has raised a few questions.
I am shooting RAR 16" rifle and getting excellant groups, 1 moa or better @100 yds, with, 20.0, 21.0, and 23.0 gns of CFE BLK.
My only "issue", and I may be overthinking this, is that my velocities aren't what I think they should be.
Meaured with a Magneto Speed they are as follows, average for 5 round groups....
20.0 gn....1845 fps
21.0 gn...1959 fps
23.0 gn...2117 fps

The best group was the 21.0 @1959 fps, a .75moa group, the other 2 groups were at 1moa.
Am I being overly "velocity crazy"?
@rb288, what COAL were you using for these loads? Were you able to fit within max SAAMI length?

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:47 am
by rb288
fancygunz wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:56 am
rb288 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:27 am
Ok, so, I have been playing with this bullet for a while now, and am just starting to get it figured out.
However, it has raised a few questions.
I am shooting RAR 16" rifle and getting excellant groups, 1 moa or better @100 yds, with, 20.0, 21.0, and 23.0 gns of CFE BLK.
My only "issue", and I may be overthinking this, is that my velocities aren't what I think they should be.
Meaured with a Magneto Speed they are as follows, average for 5 round groups....
20.0 gn....1845 fps
21.0 gn...1959 fps
23.0 gn...2117 fps

The best group was the 21.0 @1959 fps, a .75moa group, the other 2 groups were at 1moa.
Am I being overly "velocity crazy"?
@rb288, what COAL were you using for these loads? Were you able to fit within max SAAMI length?
I used 2.180 oal for these loads in my Ruger American Ranch.
I believe 2.260 is max oal for the 300 blk.

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:07 pm
by P1ZombieKiller
dellet wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:35 pm


1475 fps, tumbled, 22" penetration. I will try and drop a bit more, but that's probably getting close to minimum.
@Dellet
Going through this thread, and would like to see these photo's if you still have them.

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:15 pm
by dellet
P1ZombieKiller wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:07 pm
dellet wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:35 pm


1475 fps, tumbled, 22" penetration. I will try and drop a bit more, but that's probably getting close to minimum.
@Dellet
Going through this thread, and would like to see these photo's if you still have them.
Looks like photobucket is down and I can't post a file here. PM sent on Accurate Shooter with pics