Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Post by dellet »

svh wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:04 am I've been following, and read this whole thread, and just got 200 of these projectiles, so I'm fixin to start loading some up for deer season. I can't wait to try these out on a few whitetail soon.

I fabricated, and played around with a drop tube, 1680, and case volume this morning, and plan to start putting thing together this evening. I've never loaded with a compressed load before, and have a few questions.

I noted Dellet posted somewhere in this thread, to let the loaded rounds with the compressed 1680 sit for a couple of days, to see if the pressure of the compressed powder will push the projectile out, increasing COAL. Right now, I only just remove the bell from the case mouth. These will be tested, and used in an RAR.

My questions are :

Am I worrying about this too much ?

How common is this with this particular reload ?

Is there any concern for this happening after say, 1 day ? 2 days ? A year ?

If this occurs, is there any remedies ? Tighter crimp ?

Thank you for your replies.
Probably worrying a bit too much,

A fine ball powder like 1680 poured through a drop tube or settled is hard to compress too much. You will feel the bullet stop unless you are using a pretty big press. It's always worth leaving some sit a couple days just to make sure. I don't crimp anything and never compress anything enough to really worry about it.

The added issue with this bullet in particular is the coating. It's a bit slick, so it may be more prone to movement.

The slower the pour through the drop tube the more dense the charge will be. It might be worth plating around and weighing what fit in the case with different drops.

Look forward to seeing some different results.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

The more I shoot this bullet the more I like it.

Loaded up five groups of three to start working up a load for the CVA pistol. Four of the five looked about like this:

This one is 22.4 gr D063.2, CCI 450, about 2.245" OAL, and runs 2065 fps in the 11.5" suppressed pistol. Loaded with a drop tube, it is not compressed. Hopefully I'll get a chance to ventilate a deer with it next week.

Edit: 22.4 gr, not 20.4 gr. Good lesson here. Read your manual or your notes EVERY time. For some reason I had 20.4 on my brain, and just loaded 50 before thinking that may not be right. :roll:
Last edited by bangbangping on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Lookin good for minute of venison! My last outing shooting the RARR, with the same powder, compressed charge that averaged 2275 fps, SD was 16 for those 5 shots. Accuracy was meh at 1.8" group at 50 yds, primers indicating I found the no go zone. Big game season opening this Sunday, the range was a zoo of last minute scary gun handling. I was not able to finish my tests, after being swept by a few muzzles...idiots.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

TRshootem wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:34 am Lookin good for minute of venison! My last outing shooting the RARR, with the same powder, compressed charge that averaged 2275 fps, SD was 16 for those 5 shots. Accuracy was meh at 1.8" group at 50 yds, primers indicating I found the no go zone. Big game season opening this Sunday, the range was a zoo of last minute scary gun handling. I was not able to finish my tests, after being swept by a few muzzles...idiots.
22-2250 is generally a pretty good place to be in a 16" barrel, if the pressure is not too high.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

I think backing off by one grain will put this 150 GD in that 2200+ range, reduce the pressure indicators and get the accuracy that 1680 and CFE-BLK has shown so far. It was disappointing to have to break down my set up before finishing. Curiously, the SW-BO did not require the use of the drop tube to get the same charge as 1680, and was only lightly compressed in comparison. I knew the load was on the edge just by the recoil impulse and then a look at the primers. I had hoped to get some data from the 10.5" pistol as well. Some serious winds have grounded me for the last couple days.
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

Finally tried the 150 GD's on a couple whitetail. I plan on useing them in the future. :P
Recovered bullets on broad side shots , I don't see it happening even with both shoulders hit.
Thats fine with me. Have a couple pics dellet if you want to host them, IM me...nice 200yd group as well. Used a fixed 10x with milldots. 1st milldot works perfect for this bullets 200 yd zero with the center crosshair dead on at 100 yds.

700 aac sd 16"
23.5 1680
WW 223 brass
CCI 400
2.230 oal, 2250 fps, sd / es....single digets
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Jcm800 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:46 pm Finally tried the 150 GD's on a couple whitetail. I plan on useing them in the future. :P
Recovered bullets on broad side shots , I don't see it happening even with both shoulders hit.
Thats fine with me. Have a couple pics dellet if you want to host them, IM me...nice 200yd group as well. Used a fixed 10x with milldots. 1st milldot works perfect for this bullets 200 yd zero with the center crosshair dead on at 100 yds.

700 aac sd 16"
23.5 1680
WW 223 brass
CCI 400
2.230 oal, 2250 fps, sd / es....single digets
Pics are always of interest to some one.

Are you saying you shot through both shoulders, or that you would expect to?

Message sent
svh
Silent But Deadly

Post by svh »

I took a really nice 6 pointer, with a 22" spread, and no brow tines this past weekend with the Gold Dot over 22.0 g of 1680, and a COAL of 2.195, with a average MV of 2035 FPS, ES of 39, and SD of 13. Very minor pressure signs were observed ….. Slightly flattened primer. Group size was within 1/2" at 60 yards.

I originally developed this with 22.2 g, at 2.2 COAL, and IIRC, 2150 ish FPS, and had good accuracy, but feeding was problematic at this length, but ONLY on the THIRD round in the mag ?!? Rounds 1, and 2 would feed fine, round 3 would nose up, and catch on the top of the chamber, and rounds 4, and 5 would feed normally.

The buck was shot at 65 yards, with a 16" RAR, with an Omega suppressor. Apparently this deer had somewhere to be, as he was moving past me at a fast trot, offering up a broadside shot. The projectile entered just behind the left front leg, went through the boiler room, making lung jelly, and removed a golf ball sized chunk from the heart, then continued out the other side, just behind the right front leg. Ribs were broken on both sides, with a thumb sized exit wound. The projectile was not recovered.

Trauma was minimal compared to the factory Barnes Black Tip my buddy used for almost exactly the same shot placement, at 30 yards further out.

The deer continued on for about 40 yards from sheer momentum, pinballing off of trees for the last 20 yards, and finally crashed only 15 yards from the logging road I walked in on ….. Super easy recovery !

Sorry, no pics as my camera decided to stay at home (I forgot it !!!) I am very happy with this projectile, and still have a few more weeks for live target testing, so hopefully I'll have some pics soon !
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Posting for JCM. I will let him explain

Sighting in at 200 yards

Exit wound

Entrance wound

Exit wound

Nicely done JCM.
masblackbelt

Post by masblackbelt »

Wow! Am I seeing that right?? That's less than 1/4moa at 200 yards. That is astonishing for a 300 blackout IMO. Is that the factory 300blk 700, or a custom one? Very nice job! I've got some 1680 coming today, which is the last piece of the puzzle for me to start experimenting. This makes me really excited, although I honestly cannot shoot that well.
You learn something new everyday when you're as dumb as I am...