Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Post by Sig220 »

bangbangping wrote:Who's going to be first with a dead animal pic?
I shot a small doe this morning with my 300BO using the Gold Dot 150gn. I didn't take any groundshot pics because I hunt in a swamp(seems like it) and I wanted to recover her before she was snatched by a alligator or just got sucked into the ground :roll:

The shot was a "chip shot" of 53 yards and she dropped in her tracks. The bullet entered high on the left side above/in front of the shoulder and exited on the right side, high in the rib cage behind the shoulder. It took out the spine and the lungs. (Shooting from a elevated stand)

Thanks to a cool forecast I am hanging this one to let it age, I might be able to get a pic of the entry and exit from inside the body cavity afterwards.

Needless to say, it did the job. The load was 17.7gns of H110....so not a trail blazer load by no means. :|
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Sig220 wrote:
bangbangping wrote:Who's going to be first with a dead animal pic?
I shot a small doe this morning with my 300BO using the Gold Dot 150gn. I didn't take any groundshot pics because I hunt in a swamp(seems like it) and I wanted to recover her before she was snatched by a alligator or just got sucked into the ground :roll:

The shot was a "chip shot" of 53 yards and she dropped in her tracks. The bullet entered high on the left side above/in front of the shoulder and exited on the right side, high in the rib cage behind the shoulder. It took out the spine and the lungs. (Shooting from a elevated stand)

Thanks to a cool forecast I am hanging this one to let it age, I might be able to get a pic of the entry and exit from inside the body cavity afterwards.

Needless to say, it did the job. The load was 17.7gns of H110....so not a trail blazer load by no means. :|
So...who's going to be first with a dead animal pic? :lol:

Glad you got one and the bullet worked. Where in our great state were you hunting?
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

I am in the SE corner of TX, I can just about throw a rock and hit Louisiana and about 30 minutes drive to the Gulf. The area I hunt is very southern part of Jasper county. I will be processing my doe tomorrow, will put pic up then!
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Alright bangbangping....

Here is your pic.....it was hard to hold the ribs apart and take a pic....to help orientation...the spine runs to the top right corner and the damage to the ribs is on the right side of the deer.

http://tinypic.com/m/k9usdk/2

Well crap....cant get the pic to post...but its view able at the link above.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

That's nice.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

that did the job!
peace through superior firepower
Kanook

Post by Kanook »

Got a nice 8pt today with the Gold Dot. Will give better story when better reception
300 Blackout.....American as Apple Pie
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Kanook wrote:Got a nice 8pt today with the Gold Dot. Will give better story when better reception
I eagerly await the story and some pics if you have them! If your "nic" is any indication, I think your deer will be much bigger!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Sig you will receive in the mail a 24 pack of mustard packets from my local diner as being the first kill pic with these bullets. :mrgreen:
Good job, great shot!
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Kanook

Post by Kanook »

It was about 8:30 in the morning. Temp was about 38F. Hunting Private land in North Georgia.

Sitting in a small box blind and a nice 8pt bucks hurried out from the bush about 40yds in front of me to the left. He got about 10' into the clearing, looked up towards me and bolted down the hill giving me South bound shot on a North bound Deer. I started to make a bleat noise and he stopped at about 75yds and turned a little giving me a not so perfect shot. I got Buck fever, but knew it would work so I decided to poke him. The Speer 150 Gold Dot entered just behind the rib cage and continued forward towards his chest. I knew I made impact by the noise it made and the Deer reaction. The Deer jumped and twisted and then bolted up the next hill for about 75yds and then fell. No kicking, no Curly shuffle, just done.

My wife was hunting about 150yds away and asked what I got and should she come to help. Dang skippy I need help. So she walked over to my box and we start the tracking process. Even though I know where it fell, we always track. The trail that the buck left was close to pouring paint from a bucket. We get to the top of the hill and there he was waiting to be placed in my freezer.

My shot was a tad further back than I wanted, but it worked so I was happy. Then we noticed that he had a small hump on his spine and it was leaking fluid. It appears that he had been shot before. So I figured that I lost one strap, Dangit. Now to look for the exit, rolled the Deer over and found a hole in his right shoulder that was staring to heal. Dand this guy has been shot twice before.

So we get him from the top of the hill ready for the ride to the freezer, he is heavier than we thought. So we go the cabin and try to start the mower I use to bring the deer in with and it will not start. We walk back to the Deer with the cart that we use and haul him to the cabin. Then my electric hoist doesn't work. So we look for my pully system and remember that it was stolen when we were broken into. I thought what else will go wrong and went to move the mower and guess what, it started up fine. So we call a girlfriend of ours to ask for help.

During the skinning process I am hoping to find to find the Speer Gold Dot because I have no exit wound. The right shoulder shot wasted the meat (a little green) and we followed the wound travel and discovered it had hit the heart, so in we went. Pulled out the heart (My favourite part) and sure enough a hole, but not mine. I put my finger in and felt some metal. pulled out a piece of jacket that looks ot be of .22 or .24 caliber from the middle of the heart.

Felt around the rest of everything and couldn't find my bullet.

Speer Gold Dot 150grn, Gemtech brass, CCI primer, IMR 4227, Ruger American Ranch

(How do I post pictures of Deer and heart?)
300 Blackout.....American as Apple Pie