Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Post by dellet »

Ex Umbra wrote:
dellet wrote:
rebel wrote: If you read the entire thread, dellet downloaded these to approximate velo's at 100 to 400. It's a good way to do ballistic tests with a 50 yard access. Midway has these for 13.99 for 50 - not costly for a hunting bullet at all. In my opinion, the expansion/performance does beat anything to date. Will have to get back to you on groups at practical 300 BLK distances.
Doubt I'll burn any at 300. 100 has been done in the thread, but I would try 200 and post my result if I get time to do so.
It’s not practical to shoot gel at distance with this cartridge without really deep pockets. You end up with muzzle velocity spread of 400 fps. on some loads. With this bullet in an 8” barrel it was around 1800 I think. 12” was 2180. No idea what it would be in a 24”. Probably pushing 2350-2400. Double caliber expansion threshold will be around 1600.

If those are the extremes, 1800 fps gives an effective range around 150 yards, 400 at 2350.

If you’re comfortable with that bullet with a flattened nose and 310 diameter that will likely tumble then you can add about 150 yards to those number. Drop and range estimation becomes harder than the shot.

There are plenty of other bullets out there, mostly in the 110 grain weight range. But when you look at the drops vs energy on target, to me the drops aren’t enough different at 300 yards to make a difference. But the energy retained with the 150 is significant.

AS far as the BC numbers go again inside 300 yards it’s not significant. At 500 you would want it right on.
Thanks so much fellas!

Dellet, you said "It’s not practical to shoot gel at distance with this cartridge without really deep pockets. You end up with muzzle velocity spread of 400 fps. on some loads."

I've only been working with blackout 2 weeks. But I've already learned that using pistol primers cut my ES (extreme spread [of velocity numbers]) in half. My current load has an ES of only 30 fps. But do know 2 things about using pistol primers in a gun with a floating firing pin....

1. The cup is not as thick; a warm to hot load will sooner let the firing pin pierce the cup (which only makes for a dirty bolt face. compared to a rifle primer.

2: WARNING: "Theoretically"......there is a slight chance that when chambering a round loaded with a pistol primer, that the gun could slam-fire when you let the bolt close in an AR due to the floating firing pin. I've shot thousands of pistol primers and never had it occur, never even had the slightest sign of a dimpled primer from chambering, but I still keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction when I charge the gun.(any anyone who opts for the increased accuracy of using pistol primers MUST do the same.) A side note, in simply switching from rifle primers to pistol primers, not only did I cut my ES numbers in more than half, I picked up 13 fps.

Furthermore, thanks so much for the advice and info. Im not worried about drop or drift. I'm an extreme long range rifle instructor that trains students out to 1600 yards, because thats the longest range within a reasonable driving distance.

Im about to order some Gold Bonds, and work up a load, and calculate real world bc.

I'll report back with all my findings.

Lastly,
I'm new here, you guys don't know me.... and it's known that most folks online are keyboard commando's that spew BS..... so for a little validation.... Here's 7 hits out of a 10 round mag @ 500 yards. ( I failed to mark number 7 hit which is just under "LR." )

Image22LR 500y 1 by Tres Monceret, on Flickr
Probably should have been more clear about the not being practical. It’s of practical for me.

I’m a bit invested in this cartridge because in 6 or 7 years I haven’t ran out of things to learn from it. So if I want to test a bullet I have at least 8 different barrel lengths from 6.5-24” and every twist from 5-10. AR, single shot and bolt action. With the ability to down load a bullet from max velocity to 800 fps I can do everything I need to do at home and stay close to the loading bench. With the exception of confirming drops and operator error at distance.

I would give magnum primers a try. Most of the time an ES in the low teens or high singles is easy to get. An ES of 30 with a subsonic round will get you a vertical spread of 1-2 MOA at 200 yards if not sooner. Rule of thumb is about 1 MOA per 10fps.

For a quick and easy way to judge capability of the cartridge, just compare it to your favorite 30 caliber rifle and bullet. In this case you could probably use the Sierra Pro hunter ballistics as an example in JBM. Run it with a muzzle velocity of 2800. At 250 yards it drops to about 2250 fps., Blackout velocity.

So if you shot this bullet at 2800 fps in a 308, it would drop to about 1600 fps at 600 yards. 1350 at 750 yards. The same bullet in the Blackout would be 350/500 yards.

It will do anything a 308 can do ballistically, as long as you spot it the appropriate yardage.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Labradar read 2055 with 23 gr of 1680. That is half way up the case neck with a 6 inch drop tube. Group was 1/2 inch outside to outside at 50 yards. Don't think I can get anymore out of 1680 but it's a good hunting load. I will continue to work with this bullet and report back.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

rebel wrote:Labradar read 2055 with 23 gr of 1680. That is half way up the case neck with a 6 inch drop tube. Group was 1/2 inch outside to outside at 50 yards. Don't think I can get anymore out of 1680 but it's a good hunting load. I will continue to work with this bullet and report back.
Two words: Shooters World Blackout.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

bangbangping wrote:
rebel wrote:Labradar read 2055 with 23 gr of 1680. That is half way up the case neck with a 6 inch drop tube. Group was 1/2 inch outside to outside at 50 yards. Don't think I can get anymore out of 1680 but it's a good hunting load. I will continue to work with this bullet and report back.
That's three words :|
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

rebel wrote:
bangbangping wrote:
That's three words :|
Whatever. :mrgreen:

Of course the rifles are different, but I'm getting significantly higher velocity using Lovex in a suppressed M7. Don't have any 1680 to compare. Lowest charge weight I've shot was 21.4 @ 2090, and 23 grains averaged 2227. Anything above 22, three shot ES is running in the low to mid teens.

As you said, though, 2055 is still a good hunting load, especially if it shoots like that. A gold dot in the eyeball would certainly do the job.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Just finished a ladder test consisting of 3 rounds of each load using 1680 and CFE BLK. All loads were in the RARR, bipod and rear bag and across the Beta Master with the IR lite kit from Midway. At 23 grains of each under the 150 Gold Dot, the 1680 load put 2 in one ragged hole, with the third shot very close. 100 yd 3 shot group was .435, 2147 AV with 7.07 SD. CCI 450, RP 1X factory brass, OAL 2.165, light crimp with LFCD.

The CFE load, not too shabby, but needed the magnum primer as well I think. The cold bore shot was #1 of this load and skewed the data with the 60+ fps low in the string. That load was in 1X Nosler brass, Rem 7 1/2, OAL 2.165, same crimp. 100 yd 3 shot group was .575, 2105 AV with 40.3 SD. Temp for all was 36*, 5230 elevation.

I want to retest the CFE load with mag primers, but I am happy with the 1680. Now for the Whitetail or Muley buck to exhibit a willingness to be my test medium 8)

My Superlative Arms adjustable gas block should be in the mail box any minute. My 10.5" pistol (.95 gas port) will be put back together and tested this week.

TR
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Who's going to be first with a dead animal pic?
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Yea, somebody post up something. So far, I have a hunting trip count of zero. I prefer at this stage of life to not go alone, also prefer a strapping young mule of a lad to 'learn' him the finer points of critter draggin'. No point in letting him use the game cart or nothin....
rhyned

Post by rhyned »

rebel wrote:Yeah, chuck the lil' gun. Lay your hands on some 1680, it compresses and shoots well. Not dirty at all supersonic.
Would this apply to a single shot? I'll be loading for a Handi Rifle.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

rhyned wrote:
rebel wrote:Yeah, chuck the lil' gun. Lay your hands on some 1680, it compresses and shoots well. Not dirty at all supersonic.
Would this apply to a single shot? I'll be loading for a Handi Rifle.
Yep