Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Post by dellet »

bangbangping wrote:
dellet wrote:I have heard back from a few people that have shot this bullet out past 100 yards and recorded drops. The .340-350 G1 BC numbers seem to be holding true depending on velocity. Remember we have about a 400 fps working range between 16 and 8” barrels.

One thing I have tried, and actual VS calculated numbers are holding within .2 MOA using JBM, is selecting the Sierra 150 pro hunter #2130. So if you’re using a plug and play ballistic calculator, it’s about the closest match I’ve found. Verify it for yourself, but it looks like a good starting point.

Seems like we should be seeing a dead animal pic showing up in this thread pretty soon :P
I called Speer yesterday and spoke with a tech guy. Told him of our experience and he insisted their data showed .463 and it wasn't a misprint. He was also surprised we would consider shooting a blackout at a deer at 300 yards. :P
This is a huge problem with the BC ratings with bullets. They are basically only true the time and place it was shot.

I’m in Montana. My numbers came from velocity confirmation from zero to 100 yards and actual drops.

If I plug in custom data for the Speer bullet into JBM, 100 yard zero, 2200 MV my normal shooting conditions or whatever it was the day I last used it, and a G1 BC of .345. I need 2.5 mil up. If I only change the BC, to .463, I need 2.3 mil of up at 300 yards.

I think you said you need 2.4 in Texas.

I compared the bullet to the Sierra Pro hunter. According to Sierra that bully has a G1 BC of
.336 at 2500-5000fps
.346 at 1800-2600 fps
.360 at 0-1800 fps.

Sierra is known for confirming their numbers with drops.

The problem is for most of us, as shown in the example .100 difference in BC is probably a smaller margin of error than our shooting ability in field conditions. This is a good example of needing to confirm your own drops.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I'd like to to know who is following this thread. At over 1000 views a day, It's more than visitors, more than bots - they hit like 4 to 5 times. Who are you? Speer, Federal, some other manufacturer? We have been used for cheap R and D before so speak up and let us know who's watching with such interest.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
10Driver
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 10Driver »

Rebel, Am I missing something?

Five month old thread with 18k+ views. Does that equate to 1k views a day?

Once I understand, I’ll go back to these Gold Dots.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

rebel wrote:I'd like to to know who is following this thread. At over 1000 views a day, It's more than visitors, more than bots - they hit like 4 to 5 times. Who are you? Speer, Federal, some other manufacturer? We have been used for cheap R and D before so speak up and let us know who's watching with such interest.
Rebel,
You do bring up an interesting thought. I am curious to know who scrolls through taking notes other than members.

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

10Driver wrote:Rebel, Am I missing something?

Five month old thread with 18k+ views. Does that equate to 1k views a day?

Once I understand, I’ll go back to these Gold Dots.
Real easy 10, been following the views - once load data was posted with performance teats it jumped to 1000 views a day.
Not an average for the age of the thread, just the average for the last few weeks. This may kill it or bump it up, I don't know.
But it is a fact that manufactures follow this forum. 17170 views this am - look at it now.
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

Probably the same 1K guys that own blackouts :lol:
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I posted a link to two of the 300BLK forums on FB week or three back.... :shock: :roll: :mrgreen:

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

rebel wrote:I'd like to to know who is following this thread. At over 1000 views a day, It's more than visitors, more than bots - they hit like 4 to 5 times. Who are you? Speer, Federal, some other manufacturer? We have been used for cheap R and D before so speak up and let us know who's watching with such interest.
Kinda wish we had a like button for some such postings...

I haven't been posting much, but I still read.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

If this comes out in 300 Blk, it will also be a game changer - maybe get some yuppie libtards on our side.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com