Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 BLK

Post by TRshootem »

Dellet, construction of said corral to start immediately! No shortage of the Wapiti, nor the orange suited ninjas seeking to fill their freezer. The last Elk for me was a spike, this was all I had a tag for, but my partner bagged a fat cow with his tag. I used to work for a outfitter, worked my arse off and kinda lost my mojo. Bad knees, no kids at home anymore, and the smaller critters like deer are more my size. I did kill a nice Mule Deer buck a few years ago with the same rifle used when, at 12 years old, my grandfather put me on my first deer. I still have that 7mm Mauser today :P

I do have some connections if you find yourself seriously needing to huff and puff up a mountain in pursiut of wolf bait. :lol:

TR
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Now if they’djust offer a good factory load for those of us who don’t roll our own, it’ll be wonderful!

I’m a big fan of the 100 Barnes, but a 150 hunting bullet with comparable ballistics to the cheap-ish 147/150 grain loads would be a great boon to this caliber.

Speer, you paying attention?!
10Driver
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 10Driver »

dellet wrote:Image

Left to right Fps 1650, 1450, 1350

Dellet, Thanks for doing those.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

rebel wrote:No hole in dime - not impressed :mrgreen:
I used my first few shots to make a hole just the right size to wedge a dime in sideways. But I never could find the pieces after I cut them in half. :roll: :lol:
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

bangbangping wrote:
rebel wrote:No hole in dime - not impressed :mrgreen:
I used my first few shots to make a hole just the right size to wedge a dime in sideways. But I never could find the pieces after I cut them in half. :roll: :lol:
You don't cut it first. You cut it with the bullet Bang. I'll repeat that feat in person if you are ever up in my area. Won't take a minute. :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

dellet wrote:Image

Left to right Fps 1650, 1450, 1350
Thanks for sharing this info!
ironhead7544

Post by ironhead7544 »

Great info, thanks!
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

BlogSarge wrote:Now if they’djust offer a good factory load for those of us who don’t roll our own, it’ll be wonderful!

A GOOD 150 hunting bullet with comparable ballistics to the cheap-ish 147/150 grain loads would be a great boon to this caliber.

Speer, you paying attention?!
Agreed!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I have heard back from a few people that have shot this bullet out past 100 yards and recorded drops. The .340-350 G1 BC numbers seem to be holding true depending on velocity. Remember we have about a 400 fps working range between 16 and 8” barrels.

One thing I have tried, and actual VS calculated numbers are holding within .2 MOA using JBM, is selecting the Sierra 150 pro hunter #2130. So if you’re using a plug and play ballistic calculator, it’s about the closest match I’ve found. Verify it for yourself, but it looks like a good starting point.

Seems like we should be seeing a dead animal pic showing up in this thread pretty soon :P
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

dellet wrote:I have heard back from a few people that have shot this bullet out past 100 yards and recorded drops. The .340-350 G1 BC numbers seem to be holding true depending on velocity. Remember we have about a 400 fps working range between 16 and 8” barrels.

One thing I have tried, and actual VS calculated numbers are holding within .2 MOA using JBM, is selecting the Sierra 150 pro hunter #2130. So if you’re using a plug and play ballistic calculator, it’s about the closest match I’ve found. Verify it for yourself, but it looks like a good starting point.

Seems like we should be seeing a dead animal pic showing up in this thread pretty soon :P
I called Speer yesterday and spoke with a tech guy. Told him of our experience and he insisted their data showed .463 and it wasn't a misprint. He was also surprised we would consider shooting a blackout at a deer at 300 yards. :P