What about a home based FFL?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Re: What about a home based FFL?

Post by hardcase »

rebel wrote:I haven't had an inspection yet either but I know folks that have. They go over all your 4473's looking for mistakes. If found, they assess and give the appropriate fine. One dealer up the road allegedly had some guns in his shop not on the books, he was given $25000 worth of fines - effectively closing him down. It seems that is their agenda.
In our modern times of computerization with backup to thumb drives, there is no excuse for not keeping good records.

I don't know for sure but I think there are dealers that just sell at gun shows. There was a guy I use to buy from that just made the gun show circuit. Did his NICs checks and forms by way of a laptop. In his case, he was a "subsidiary" of a shop in another town.

Seems like the majority of gun shops around here are in the pawn shop business too in order to make a decent profit. I would think it would be a business where you would not get rich.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

hardcase wrote:
rebel wrote:I haven't had an inspection yet either but I know folks that have. They go over all your 4473's looking for mistakes. If found, they assess and give the appropriate fine. One dealer up the road allegedly had some guns in his shop not on the books, he was given $25000 worth of fines - effectively closing him down. It seems that is their agenda.
In our modern times of computerization with backup to thumb drives, there is no excuse for not keeping good records.

I don't know for sure but I think there are dealers that just sell at gun shows. There was a guy I use to buy from that just made the gun show circuit. Did his NICs checks and forms by way of a laptop. In his case, he was a "subsidiary" of a shop in another town.

Seems like the majority of gun shops around here are in the pawn shop business too in order to make a decent profit. I would think it would be a business where you would not get rich.

You wont get rich at all. But it is fun.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
BulletFactory
Silent Operator

Post by BulletFactory »

Township wouldnt let me do it because of zoning. No matter I did not want a sign, storefront, or customers. Online only. Oh well, I'll just stay on SSI/SSD and food stamps, let them pay for my life if they wont let me make a living.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

The last firearm I bought was at the local cop shop and they used a computerized system that had you answer questions at a terminal then for the sale, the clerk printed it out and had you sign at the appropriate places. it was seamless and pretty slick.
If I were going to be in the firearm sales business I would have to look into that.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
renegade
Senior Silent Operator

Post by renegade »

There are no fines. Maybe that was a state FFL.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

renegade wrote:
There are no fines. Maybe that was a state FFL.
That's why I said alleged. As far as know there is no state ffls here -could be wrong though renegade. Though I'm a federally licensed FFL, I don't know everything for sure. What I know for a fact is that he has closed - not sure if permanent or temporary , but whatever happened must be fairly egregious. Point is - when they come, you must be there, for as long as is takes.
edit - renegade, school me on what you speak of sir.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Unless the law changed, the fine for an ffl not completing a background check and transferring a gun to someone who would be denied, was $5000.

Since I’m not in the business, it might have changed.
LICENSEE FINES, SUSPENSION, AND/OR REVOCATION FOR NICS VIOLATIONS

For most administrative actions involving violations of the GCA, ATF must show the licensee has willfully violated this act. When it is demonstrated that the licensee willfully violated provisions of the GCA, revocation or denial of the license is the only administrative recourse. However, 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(5) provides that a firearms licensee who transfers a firearm and knowingly fails to comply with the Brady law, in a case where compliance would have revealed that the transfer was unlawful, is subject to license suspension or revocation, and a civil fine of not more than $5,000 for each violation.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
renegade
Senior Silent Operator

Post by renegade »

dellet wrote:Unless the law changed, the fine for an ffl not completing a background check and transferring a gun to someone who would be denied, was $5000.

Ok we have two different things here. I was referring to administrative mistakes on a 4473, there are no fines.

Willfully criminal violations, sure they are fines for that including imprisonment.

I know one FFL with over 900 adminstrative mistakes on his 4473s and Bound Book, he only lost his license as none were intentional, he was a just a doofus.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Yeah, well I don't know what happened in the case I mentioned but it wasn't admin errors for sure. I have one friend who is a an FFL gunsmith that had a bunch of admin errors that were correctable and he got a pass. Seems it depends on the auditing agent and whether they have had proper sleep and or caffeine :shock:
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

renegade wrote:
dellet wrote:Unless the law changed, the fine for an ffl not completing a background check and transferring a gun to someone who would be denied, was $5000.

Ok we have two different things here. I was referring to administrative mistakes on a 4473, there are no fines.

Willfully criminal violations, sure they are fines for that including imprisonment.

I know one FFL with over 900 adminstrative mistakes on his 4473s and Bound Book, he only lost his license as none were intentional, he was a just a doofus.
Actually Rebel was talking about firearms on site, not in the bound book. That has nothing to do with a 4473. So I thought was the discussion.

Not an FFL so I’ll leave to those who are
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.