Barrel too short for suppressor?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Mainah1776

Barrel too short for suppressor?

Post by Mainah1776 »

Hey guys, bringing this over from my original build page. I'm happy with how it turned out, but I'm a little worried that maybe I should have gone with a 9 inch barrel for an eventual suppressor instead of the 8.5 because the threads are just inside the hand guard. The inside diameter of the hand guard is 1.46", so a lot of suppressors won't fit under the guard (not what I was going for anyway). My plan was to have a suppressor as flush as possible with the hand guard.

A friend of mine has a Silencerco Hybrid and we figured out that direct threading the Hybrid won't work because it needs like 3 or 4 more threads before it would be fully threaded on. He has a Silencerco flash hider/mount but it's for a 5.56, so we couldn't thread it on to see if that would give me enough clearance, but holding it next to the rail it looked close.

Have the hand guard ground down to give the threads clearance, or buy a longer barrel?

Haven't been able to test fire it yet, but hopefully soon.

Specs:

Standard flash hider
MAS Defense 8.5" CMV 300 blk barrel. 1:7
ALG Defense 8" hand guard. Inside diameter: 1.46"
Wojtek adjustable gas block
UTG cheap low-pro BUIS
Holosun 503C red dot
Aero Precision upper and lower
Standard trigger group
Toolcraft BCG
BCM Gunfighter handle
Magpul K2 grip
Gear Head Works Tailhook mod 1
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Barrel too short for suppressor?

Post by smustian »

I had the same thing happen. I elected to use blue painters tape to mark the final depth I wanted then cut off about 3/16" from the end of the handguard with a Dremel cutoff wheel. Initial cut was close to the line but not on it. I finished everything up with a file and sandpaper to the edge of the tape. Touch up with AlumiBlack and you cannot tell it was ever done.
Mainah1776

Post by Mainah1776 »

smustian wrote:I had the same thing happen. I elected to use blue painters tape to mark the final depth I wanted then cut off about 3/16" from the end of the handguard with a Dremel cutoff wheel. Initial cut was close to the line but not on it. I finished everything up with a file and sandpaper to the edge of the tape. Touch up with AlumiBlack and you cannot tell it was ever done.
Cool, thanks, smustian. I don't have the tools to do it, so hopefully it's not too much for a shop to do.
cdakers
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdakers »

That should be a lost cost, trivial job for any competent machine shop.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Would it work with a direct thread can with extended threaded part like these....

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/suppr ... t_type=246
Mainah1776

Post by Mainah1776 »

BlogSarge wrote:Would it work with a direct thread can with extended threaded part like these....

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/suppr ... t_type=246
It looks like that one might actually work. The very back of the standard flash hider on mine is just about in line with the end of the hand guard (maybe a millimeter or two behind it), so if the back of the Sig suppressor is a little longer than the standard flash hider, I think it would fit.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Thats why i went with a 9" BAR hand gaurd on my 8" pistol, its big enough to fit a can under... and even with a quad rail and afg its not too big.

I wonder after installing a mount if it would push the mount threads forward far enough to mount a can ?
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
Mainah1776

Post by Mainah1776 »

ThreeHundredBlackout wrote:Thats why i went with a 9" BAR hand gaurd on my 8" pistol, its big enough to fit a can under... and even with a quad rail and afg its not too big.

I wonder after installing a mount if it would push the mount threads forward far enough to mount a can ?
Yeah, I just decided I wanted to have ease of access to the can by having it external to the hand guard.

I'm hoping that a mount will push the threads forward enough. If not, I'll see if I can have the guard ground down enough so it'll fit. Seems like it would be the cheaper way to go than buying a whole new barrel.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Mainah1776 wrote:
Yeah, I just decided I wanted to have ease of access to the can by having it external to the hand guard.

I'm hoping that a mount will push the threads forward enough. If not, I'll see if I can have the guard ground down enough so it'll fit. Seems like it would be the cheaper way to go than buying a whole new barrel.
Aluminum is easy to work with. The whole job can be done with a hacksaw, file and sandpaper. You can even blacken the bare aluminum with a Sharpie. Just take your time.
Mainah1776

Post by Mainah1776 »

smustian wrote:
Mainah1776 wrote:

Aluminum is easy to work with. The whole job can be done with a hacksaw, file and sandpaper. You can even blacken the bare aluminum with a Sharpie. Just take your time.
Problem is, I don't trust myself to hack it up and have it look horrible. lol.